Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple of you ride Curtlo's, I am thinking about getting the 29er Epic soft tail--Has any dealt with doug from the start to end of the project, and if so, the the lead time for frames pretty honest? I am one of the many who has had a very bad experience with DEAN.
Thanks

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
your results may vary

Doug's a cool guy in person and good to work with via email regarding your frame details.

That said, my 26" ss frame was quoted at 4-6 weeks. 5 months later I had my frame.

THAT said, I'd still recommend him and even considered him for a 29er build (until the SIR 9 came along). Now I'll have that in Jan. unless something goes horribly wrong.

you really need to look at small builders as if you're commisioning an artist to create a piece for you. You let them do their thing and wait for the email. Plan on much longer than quoted and be surprised when it shows up early. It all depends on what's on his plate (and whether or not there's fresh powder on the slopes. ;) ) Not that I didn't have a couple of b*tch sessions about the wait, but my therapist got me through those dark days.

My 26er with Curtlo rigid fork rides amazing. I love that bike. The Niner has big shoes to fill :)

good luck~
Jeff

twelve_volt_man said:
I know a couple of you ride Curtlo's, I am thinking about getting the 29er Epic soft tail--Has any dealt with doug from the start to end of the project, and if so, the the lead time for frames pretty honest? I am one of the many who has had a very bad experience with DEAN.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
He told me 8-10 weeks a couple of days ago. He is on vacation until Dec 5th. That is when I will be making my order on a 24hr racer with EBB.

twelve_volt_man said:
Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
bigdrunk said:
He told me 8-10 weeks a couple of days ago. He is on vacation until Dec 5th. That is when I will be making my order on a 24hr racer with EBB.
Curtlo #1: about 2 months (2 years ago)
Curtlo #2: about 2 1/2 months (one year ago)
Curtlo #3: about 2 1/2 months (this year)
Curtlo #4: one week (bought it off ebay)

he told me 6 - 8 weeks on all of them. This is a good time to order, he has said he was pretty busy earlier this year. He is going to be putting horizontal dropouts and a new powdercoat on #4 soon.

·
Registered
995 Posts
twelve_volt_man said:
Thanks
Doug's a great guy. I think we were quoted 6-8 weeks on ours, and we got one in 6 weeks & one in 8 weeks. He was struggling for a while to find a worthy painter (hence all the paint problems a couple years back), and he admitted the delivery times were going all to pieces. He'd wait till he had half a dozen frames done, and then drive them all the way down the coast to get them painted all at once. When they were done, he'd drive back down and get em, & ship em out. I was hoping to hook him up with Cory, the Ex-Klein painter in Washington, but I think he got it sorted out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.