Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some photos of my new 29er Full Suspension frame from Curtlo Cycles. It took a long time coming but it looks like it'll be worth the wait. It's en route to me right now. Hopefully I'll be able to build it up for a ride this weekend.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,124 Posts
Can I put those photos on the Curtlo website? I'm adding a gallery section, and those are some of the best full-suspension photos I've seen yet.

JV - curtlo.com webmaster and Curtlo dork

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
curtlo-dork said:
Can I put those photos on the Curtlo website? I'm adding a gallery section, and those are some of the best full-suspension photos I've seen yet.

JV - curtlo.com webmaster and Curtlo dork
Sure, I don't see why not. They're actually re-sized versions of photos that Doug sent me just this evening.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Holy HTs Batman! Nice frame, I really like the cable routing and lack of TT/DT brace.

I hope a short stack HS allows your fork to clear your DT because it looks like you're pushing the limits of stock steerer tube length.

Again, pretty bike.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Soupboy said:
I hope a short stack HS allows your fork to clear your DT because it looks like you're pushing the limits of stock steerer tube length.
Maybe, or maybe he's one of the few people who orders a custom bike with a headtube that's the length it need to be so he doesn't have to run 2" of spacers like I've seen on a bunch of "custom" bikes lately. All that trouble to get a custom bike and the fricken headtubes are a mile too short, what's up with that? Also, his bars need to be where his bars need to be, whether he gets there with extra headtube length or spacers it's more a function of getting a longer steerer tube if he needs it.
White Bros will do extra long steerers for a small additional cost.

·
Mashers Only!!
578 Posts
Rivet said:
Maybe, or maybe he's one of the few people who orders a custom bike with a headtube that's the length it need to be so he doesn't have to run 2" of spacers like I've seen on a bunch of "custom" bikes lately. All that trouble to get a custom bike and the fricken headtubes are a mile too short, what's up with that?.
I'm with ya on that one!! I have built three custom bikes and that is the first thing I discuss. I tell them I'm running "X" stem with "X" bars and I want them "X" far below the saddle with NO spacers!! Its a custom bike! You should be nit picky!!

HUGH
:)

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soupboy said:
Holy HTs Batman! Nice frame, I really like the cable routing and lack of TT/DT brace.

Again, pretty bike.
Thanks, I'm really digging the way it came out.

The design of my frame in the area of your concern is almost exactly the same as that of Enel's Curtlo 29er FS and as you can see from this photo he posted recently, there's plenty of clearance with this design.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Nice bike.

How bigga boy are ya? That's got to be in the running for the biggest FS29er out there... Looks bigger than Padre's XXL Levi....and bigger than the XXL RX's....

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rivet said:
Maybe, or maybe he's one of the few people who orders a custom bike with a headtube that's the length it need to be so he doesn't have to run 2" of spacers like I've seen on a bunch of "custom" bikes lately. All that trouble to get a custom bike and the fricken headtubes are a mile too short, what's up with that? Also, his bars need to be where his bars need to be, whether he gets there with extra headtube length or spacers it's more a function of getting a longer steerer tube if he needs it.
White Bros will do extra long steerers for a small additional cost.
No doubt about it, I am pushing the limit of the stock steer tube length on the White Brothers forks. No spacers and no cutting should be required.

My primary reason for going to a 29er was to be able to get the front end up high where I want it without the use of 25 degree stems and 1.5" - 2" riser bars like on my custom 26" Curtlos. With this new frame I'll be able to use 5-10 degrees stems and the flat, low sweep handlebars my hands seem to prefer and have the bar at just the right height.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
HUGH said:
I'm with ya on that one!! I have built three custom bikes and that is the first thing I discuss. I tell them I'm running "X" stem with "X" bars and I want them "X" far below the saddle with NO spacers!! Its a custom bike! You should be nit picky!!

HUGH
:)
Classic, that's the first thing I noticed when I looked at your new Moots, which looks very tight by the way.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
look closely

ziggurat22 said:
Sweet!

But, umm, one question: Is it me, or is that frame floating in that picture? Or is it lying on a wood deck or something?
In the last picture you can see the pipe in the BB shell. In the first picture you can see the lag bolt just in front of the top of the ST. Very photogenic! :D

Sweet bike, thanks for feeding my 29er FS lust. Errk. :nono:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very nice! I was hoping FS meant "For Sale" instead of just "Full Suspension".

I had Doug build me a full custom road frame a couple of years ago, with a very long head tube, so I didn't need a lot of spacers or a dorky high-rise stem (I'm only 6'-3", but have a 38"+ inseam). Since the HT is so long, he used a larger thin-walled 4130 tube with an internal reinforcing ring brazed into each end to keep it light and get the correct ID. The rest of the frame is S3, with an OX Platinum 1-3/8" DT as the the TT. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'm also using a True Temper Alpha Q carbon fork with extra-long tandem-weight steerer tube (the same ones Zinn uses).

Who's he having do his PC, now?

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,124 Posts
Doug mounted a tube to the "wall" of wood, and the frame is held in place at the BB shell. If you look in one of the photos you'll see it coming out the side.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Rivet said:
Classic, that's the first thing I noticed when I looked at your new Moots, which looks very tight by the way.
what? did you actually something remotely positive about a 29er? it cant be!

in your defense, Hugh's bike is probably the sickest (sorry about the DH forum speak) bike I have ever seen in person so who the heck wouldn't like it?

·