Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Looks pretty awesome; I've ridden at Turtle Rock (or whatever it's called), and it has similar terrain, although it's pretty easy stuff. Very fun, though. And I've ridden the little Laramie trail outside Centennial several times. That's a really nice trail. But the Gowdy trails look like a blast.

·
Yann Ropars
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same here, i rode at Turtle rock few years ago and that it was ok but limited. Gowdy s very similar terrain (but much bigger, and growing since they are building more trails) as it's close by but you can spent a good 3+ hours doing all the loops (probably less if you know the area well).-

agreed with you on Centennial.... there are some amazing trails in the Medecine Bow range... this was last year

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
Ahhh a little place called Wyoming

Where the Beer flows like wine and women flock instinctively like the salmon of Capistrano.
Where the trails are empty and the deer and the antelope play. (and a few snakes) A place that sells gas for less and sells beer on Sunday......Oh I mean it's windy and full of ********.
Probably better off in Co.

·
Registered
938 Posts
tmosebar said:
Where the Beer flows like wine and women flock instinctively like the salmon of Capistrano.
Where the trails are empty and the deer and the antelope play. (and a few snakes) A place that sells gas for less and sells beer on Sunday......Oh I mean it's windy and full of ********.
Probably better off in Co.
And the Nici Steak totally kicks butt after a long ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is definitely more trail coming at Curt Gowdy- some xc-style connections to other areas in the park and more burly sections with multiple designed lines- and when complete should provide more than 30 miles of riding. The Park has really benefitted from the increased use and WY State Parks are now looking at new trail systems in a number of other parks closest to the Front Range population centers.

The Curt Gowdy trail system is the result of collaboration between Trail Solutions, IMBA's professional trail consulting program which completed the trail system design, and the construction expertise of local volunteers, Singletrack Trails out of Ft. Collins, and Arrowhead Trails from Salida. We're looking at holding an advanced trailbuilding techniques weekend at the park late this summer and will be sure to post an announcement on the Front Range forum and local websites.

Enjoy The Ride,
Scott

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Did you make it to Happy Jack ?

WKD-RDR said:
Nice stuff-
I'm headin to the happy trails just west of there manana.

Will report back soon
How were the sketter's :eekster: ? I'm planning on heading up to Gowdy/ Vedauwoo/ Happy Jack for the weekend. Forecast is sunny and low 70's there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
onbelaydave said:
How were the sketter's :eekster: ? I'm planning on heading up to Gowdy/ Vedauwoo/ Happy Jack for the weekend. Forecast is sunny and low 70's there.
The skeeters are a little aggressive right now. I rode Gowdy Saturday, and a Happy Jack to Vedauwoo route Sunday, and they were pretty active at different times. Much of the stuff at HJ is still pretty wet- so you'll have to watch out for that. Gowdy is in perfect shape, Turtle Rock is dry, but the connectors from there to anything else are muddy. :thumbsup:

sam

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Thanks

I assumed the bugs would be bad to awful. I've spent way too many 4th of July climbing trips camped above Blair, and had to come running out of the woods screaming from all the mosquitoes.

Hard to believe Happy Jack is STILL muddy. :madman:

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
onbelaydave said:
I camped one night near FR 700

Skeeters were OK as long as you kept movin. - Lots of insects in general, though.

Forgot my memory card or I'd have some photos.:madman:

Happy Jack has some mud, not bad at all.

Blair, and the other trails in that area, had some straight up swamps.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
That's what I would have figured,Thanks !

WKD-RDR said:
I camped one night near FR 700

Skeeters were OK as long as you kept movin. - Lots of insects in general, though.

Forgot my memory card or I'd have some photos.:madman:

Happy Jack has some mud, not bad at all.

Blair, and the other trails in that area, had some straight up swamps.
The valley between Blair and "The Woo" always seems to be just a muddy beaverpond mess until fall.

I was wanting to hit up all the shorter top loops at Happy Jack, as well as the Headquarters, Summit, Brown's Landing loop on Sunday. I'll be braving the crowds at Curt Gowdy Saturday.

Again, Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.