Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,
Planning on making my first trip up to Curt Gowdy and just saw there are two trail systems.
Any suggestions on where to ride? Pro's / Con's of each....
Looking for less technical XC type trails--

Thanks to all in advance

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
I would recommend NOT riding the north side of the lower res - lots of hike-a-bike over there. South side would fit the bill well for less tech XC trails. Can't comment on the other trails since I've not had a chance to ride them...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Agree with SS. The trails on the west side of Granite Springs Res. are a lot of fun and if you need more, explore the trails between the two reservoirs. There should be plenty there to keep you busy.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
We did both sides in 1 day. Did the upper section in the morning/midday (would recommend going counter-clockwise), then did the lower reservoir trails in the evening. Completely different types of riding, but both very fun. The upper trails have a lot of slow speed tech tight turns, while the lower res trails are more fast and flowy with some good terrain/scenery changes. There's also few really nice climbs and descents. Cliffhanger has some really great views, and you only have to dismount your bike for like 100 feet? or so.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hit up Stone Temple and Rock-n-Rolla for the least technical XC trails (not including Shorline, which is basically a gravel sidewalk). If You have fun on those and are looking for something a little more challenging, use Albert's Alley or Pinball to connect to Crow Creek and make your way to Mo'Rocka.

Mahogany and Rawhide are also some less-technical trails, but they start to get away from the northern area. If you do those, you should hit Middle Kindgom, clockwise. Just don't get caught up in the freeride stuff at the end, unless that's your thing.

The stuff around Crystal is new, loose, and has a lot of hike-a-bike sections. There are also a few spots where those with vertigo won't do so well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
stay away from the south side of granite springs res. to crystal lake trails, mostly hike-a-bike like SkaredShtles says. The crystal ridge trail is OK, with a few fun sections.

now, the other side (mountain trail system) is spectacular.
Curt Gowdy State Park - Granite Springs Reservoir side by dougovito at Garmin Connect - Details

the trails are well marked with an overall map at nearly every junction I came to.
http://www.overlandmtb.org/sites/default/files/trail-maps/CurtGowdyTrailMap.pdf

there is also a fun little mtb park at the aspen grove trailhead.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/pdf/CurtGowdyTrailMap.pdf

The mileage isn't that bad. Like I said earlier, we did both sides in the same day. A lot more of the lower res section is in the sun and exposed. There's more riding in the trees on the mountain trail section. You can get a lot of really fun and a variety of riding in while you're at Gowdy. I know you said you wanted to ride less techy trails, but I'd highly recommend trying some stuff out. It's a good place to practice, and you're never too far from the road if anything did happen. You'd be missing some of the best parts of the park if you bypass the techy trails. Worst case scenario you walk some stuff, no big deal.

This is a fun route, but I like the techy stuff:
I'd recommend going counter-clockwise on Stone Temple up to Ignoramus/Rock N Roller, back to Stone Temple, over to Albert's Alley, to Mo' Rocka, then do the Skin & Bones loop to play area and back. The expert play area down here is fun if anyone you ride with is a strong technical rider, but it's not so fun to hike back out of it. :( Take Mo' Rocka back to Sammy's Slide to Pinball and then Stone Temple back to where you started.

For the lower res trails, I'd suggest Granite Ridge to Mahogany, to Canyons, take a left to Middle Kingdom and go up and back down that right dogleg section on the map clockwise (avoid the free ride play area unless you have serious balls), to Crystal Ridge, to Twin Lakes to Cliff Hanger. From here ask yourself how you're feeling. If you are feeling good, take a right on Canyons and do an out and back towards Blue's Cruz/Highline/etc. If you did both sections in the same day or you're running out of daylight, you might feel like heading back, so take the Canyons red side back (get read for a ton of little switchbacks to climb up and out) and connect with Shoreline. It's a paltry trail, but it's got some good views of the reservoir and is very pretty to ride back on if you catch it during sunset. It literally hugs the shoreline for the whole way back.

I don't remember all the hike a bike they're talking about on Granite Ridge/Crystal Ridge (plus that's all rated green/blue) and I just rode this a month ago. I remember a few spots, but nothing all that bad.

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
+1 for riding the Mountain Trail System. This area is really what sets Curt Gowdy apart from other riding areas. It's built for mountain bikes and shouldn't be missed. At the very least do the Stone Temple Loop. If you don't follow the many optional spurs then it probably won't take you more than an hour. And if you're lucky the aspens will be in color.

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
Definitely Mountain instead of Reservoir.
If you do end up at Reservoir, feel free to ride the black section of Canyons, but you probably won't ever do it again.
I haven't ridden with everyone on this forum, but I don't know anyone that could clean that whole thing except Karate Chicken (and I don't even know him, I just know he could do it).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pinball!!! My favorite Curt Gowdy trail! They are all fun except the Canyons trail that is colored black on the map. If you fall on that one, you and your bike will be in the reservoir.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just rode there yesterday for the first time and hit almost everything on the Mountain side. We rode counter clockwise around Stone Temple and hit all the offshoots from there. I would definately recoment hitting Igneoramus, Albert's Alley, El Alto and Mo' Rocka. Personally, I could go back and spend the day looping around Alberts and El Alto over and over in both directions. There is some really cool tech on El Alto and it is all very rideable. Can't wait to get back and explore some more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the Curt Gowdy Info

Thank you to all for the info provided on Curt Gowdy--- very helpful. I am going to try and sneak up there this weekend

Is anyone interested in riding Saturday morning?

·
Hammer Nutrition
293 Posts
While everyone is recommending riding Stone Temple ccw, I'll throw my local $.02 in there. ST was origionally planned out to go clockwise. The Rock n Roller section is way more fun cw than ccw (still don't see what enjoyment people get out of riding it uphill ccw:rolleyes:). Riding the reservoir system on the North side of Crystal is Double-Black Diamond and will be toned down some in the next year but way too hard and no fun for me. out and back on Crystal Ridge is a good endurance ride with scenic views from Highline if you ride over to it and do the loop.
a loop where you will see most of everything would be Stone Temple CW to Pinball left across bridge to Crow Creek right on Sammy's Slide right onto Mo' Rocka right on Crow Creek Trail and left across bridge up Albert's Alley left at Stone Temple intersection, left at Igneoramus, left at Rock N' Roller, left at Igneoramus to Stone Temple down and back to the TH. you will hit almost every trail on the mountain system.
For the Reservoir system from the main TH go out Shoreline up Granite Ridge to Mahogany left up and around Middle Kingdom, Cliff Hanger to Twin Lakes, out Crystal Ridge past the Crystal Lake fee booth up and around Highline and back as a loop or you can ride the road back for a "faster" return to the TH.

of course, I live 10 minutes away so take from that what you will

Just Enjoy It!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.