Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all sorry if this is the wrong forum, i figured this one gets the most traffic so.....I bought my first bike a few weeks ago, and after riding through some trails...I NEED NEW PEDALS! You guys can imagine, and probably have experience slipping off plastic stock petals.

My question is am I okay with buying used "cheap" as in price bmx petals of ebay or something similar, rather then going with a big name brand. All I want is something durable (none plastic), that will give me a good grip. Will it matter much going with a obscure brand. Note....I have no idea what brands are better then others. All i know is I want to spend the least amount of money possible....thnx in advance fellas

btw...this is prolly going to be the only upgrade I need right away. Anymore, and if, will come after much more experience, unless something breaks of course

·
NeedGod.com
581 Posts
Ok first of all:

petals - the things you tear off of flowers to determine whether or not she loves you

pedals - the things you push with your feet on the bike to make it go

That being said, I have some DMR V8's that have worked well for me. Check out some of the pedal reviews on the site.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok first of all:

petals - the things you tear off of flowers to determine whether or not she loves you

pedals - the things you push with your feet on the bike to make it go

That being said, I have some DMR V8's that have worked well for me. Check out some of the pedal reviews on the site.
So sorry I confused you, thank god you figured it out though...Haha...seriously though I'll take a look

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a pair of Fortes. They are good although if you slip off like I have, you could really have some nasty scratches.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good replies so far!

DMR V8's are good.
Fortes are good, a little hard to find right now.
MG1 gets solid reviews, especially for the price.

I have been using the Easton Flatboy for a month now, and they seem fine so far.

Putting a set of VP-001's today. They look well made.

mudhen

·
Ted in real life
285 Posts
If you are looking for flats try out the Diamondback Sound Pedal from Amazon. Cheap and they work great. I am using four sets on my family bikes.

·
NeedGod.com
581 Posts
I've noticed a lot of bike companies don't even include pedals with the bike. Probably a good idea since so many people prefer different types.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are a noob (like me), you couldn't go wrong with the A530's. Theese offer you a flat platform good with running shoes, Teva types and what not. The flip side offers a SPD clip when you become comfortable enough and experienced enough to realize you want your feet ON the pedals.(can be found for around $60)

I went with the M530's (I'm used to clipping in on my road bike) but I half wish I went for the A530's for the times I just want to ride my MTB around town or down to the beach. Purchashing the M530's will require that you buy SPD shoes.

Good Luck,

Hank

·
Registered
615 Posts
Go to Jensen.com and check out the Gusset brand platform pedals for around $30 bucks....they are thin, metal and light weight! I own two sets myself.....best I have found for the price! They also include extra grip screws and a cool page of stickers....everyone likes stickers!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The stock hardrock pedals carved my legs pretty good my second time out. I put on some Fortes and it was a huge difference. I recommend something quickly. Also grease the pedal threads when installing them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The stock hardrock pedals carved my legs pretty good my second time out. I put on some Fortes and it was a huge difference. I recommend something quickly. Also grease the pedal threads when installing them.
I think those must be the same that my Rockhopper had. Looked like rectangular bear traps to me. I envisioned myself looking like a wolf caught in a bear trap bleeding in some remote wild place and got rid of them.

Hank :rolleyes:

Always thought it was stupid that road bikes came without pedals, now I think it's stupid MTB's come with them. You just can't win. Next Bike will be a frame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think those must be the same that my Rockhopper had. Looked like rectangular bear traps to me. I envisioned myself looking like a wolf caught in a bear trap bleeding in some remote wild place and got rid of them.

Hank :rolleyes:

Always thought it was stupid that road bikes came without pedals, now I think it's stupid MTB's come with them. You just can't win. Next Bike will be a frame.
Not the same as my rockhopper....these were plastic and pure POS

Heres the damage from my hardrock plastic pedal

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
Don't forget shoes play a big part in slipping. A stiff and truly flat sole is the only way to go (imho) with platforms.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went with Crank Brothers 50/50 2 Black and Silver pedals for my X-cal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts