Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er from Performance Bike after they botched a previous Iron Horse order. It comes stock with Juicy 5's and I've had nothing but issues with them. Many of which I can't seem to figure out and the mechanics are perplexed as well.

When I first took it back the front rotor was warped such that it made an audible chirp every rotation. Definitely not great for stealth. Hell I didn't even need a bike horn to tell people I was coming.

Brought it into the shop and they straightened it out. After a day of light XC riding the chirp came back with a vengeance. It was especially bad going over rocky terrain. Brought it back in again to get the warp out. They straightened it, I spun the wheel and visually checked for clearance, everything looked good.

Another day of riding and again a warped rotor. What in the world is going on?! I brought it back again and voiced my suspicions on the front rotor. Straightened one more time and then with just light urban riding (running errands) it's starting to brush again on each revolution. It's a mystery to me and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Then there's my front brake deciding to work when it wants to. I had adjusted the reach on the front brake to be a pretty comfortable distance away from the bar. While riding bump and rocky terrain the front brake will suddenly die and then come back to life. I'll have to squeeze the lever down to the bar to get enough braking power. Randomly it comes back to life. My suspicion is there's an air bubble somewhere in my line.

Just recently (today) after I brought my bike back from getting the front rotor straightened again - I noticed that my front brake has been completely neutered. I can squeeze as hard as I want and there's nowhere near as much grab as there used to be. For example, previously when walking the bike around I could put slightly pressure on the front lever and the wheel would lock causing the back end to lift off the ground. Now I have to squeeze pretty hard and the tire still rolls. I'm so confused. I've had nothing but issues with these brakes and it made my last downhill descent more than a little sketchy. Ideas?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Well lets see...

the rotor is easy, replace it. There's something out of spec there that is causing the rotor to warp when heat is built up and then stay that way. I don't know exactly what, whether it's a minor thickness variation or a slightly off center mounting hole in the rotor. Or it could be the hub rotor mounting flange as well for any abnormalities. In any case something is causing it to warp and stay warped. I'd be intrerested to see if it's in the same spot each time. Anyway I've seen this happen before and most often it is a rotor problem.

The caliper is easy as well. Your front brake needs to be blead. The entire front brake should first be inspected for any sign of leaks, the progression of the problem makes this a possibility. If no leaks are found then a good bleed should solve the problem. If it re-occurs then a caliper and/or master cilynder rebuild is indicated as you are getting air into the system some how. Do keep in mind that it is possible to get air in without any visible leakage of fluid. It doesn't happen often but it can happen. Most likely though it was just a poor factory bleed to begin with. There was a bit of trapped air in the system and riding over rough terrain has shaken the air bubbles loose.

So a new rotor and a good brake bleed would likely solve your problems. From your symptoms that what it sounds like to me.

Good Dirt

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You might make the suggestion to Performance that they at least replace the rotor at this point and to bleed the brakes or replace them. Performance is generally pretty good about customer satisfaction...but not known for hiring very knowledgeable folks or keeping them around for long if they do, I sure wouldn't trust my bike to them beyond warranty replacements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.