Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After four months of waiting, my Waltworks finally arrived yesterday. It's now build up and pretty much ready to go. The only things I have left to do are bleed and shorten the hydro lines and find the cause for my chain going slack when I pedal backwards.

OK, before I give any of the details, let me explain the color I chose. I was not happy with any of the choices Walt had on his site (he offers a LOT more now). I mean really, do we need to see another orange-crush or Kermit-green 29er? Walt told me I could send him my own powder if I wanted to get a different color, so that is exactly what I did. I spent a lot of time looking at color charts trying to find the right shade. And then it hit me: curry. When I moved to northern Virginia three years ago, one of the first things I sought out was a place that made a decent chicken curry. I got lucky and found a place just two miles from my house. I get the exact same thing every time I go there: "Chicken Curry To-Go." I get it so often that I don't even need to say what I want when I enter the store. What's really neat about the place is that the curry is never the same twice in a row. Sometimes it's better than others which makes that first bite a suprise.

So what does this have to do with my bike? While I was looking at a site with color samples I came across one called "Curry". I had no idea what the color would look like on a frame, but just like the variable flavor of the curry from my local shop, it would be a suprise when I opened the box. I am very happy with the result. The pictures don't really do it justice. The guys at my LBS call it a mix of spicy mustard and baby poo. Not sure who would feed an infant spicy mustard but that's not my problem.

OK, so here are the details on the bike and some pics. The frame was designed for Northern Virgina trails...a mix of buff singletrack and rocks and roots. In other words, a little bit of everything. Ride report will come once I have a few good rides on it.

Frame: Waltworks Custom Steel
Eff TT: 24.6
HA: 72
SA: 73
Chainstay: 17.7
BB Drop: 12.5
Frame Weight: 2112 grams

Fork: White Brothers Rock Solid rigid carbon
Wheels: Chris King ISO laced to Salsa Delgado with DT Swiss 2.0 straight-gauge spokes
Tires: IRC Notos and normal (heavy) 29er tubes. Got a rampage to throw on the front for my first real ride.
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7
Shifter/Drive-train: Sram X.9 1X9 - 34T E-13 Chainring (non-ramped) and an 11-32 XT Cassette
Cranks: Shimano XT
Seatpost: Sette APX ($20 for a 250 gram post..hell yeah!)
Saddle: WTB Rocket
Bar: Titec Flat Tracker.
Grips: ESI Chunky
Stem: FSA
Headset: Cane Creek S8
Pedals: Time ATAC
Total weight….. Almost exactly 24-pounds without any weenie parts.

And now some pictures:

Frame, fresh out of the box. And me, wearing the shirts the guys from Twinsix made for Walt:

I sent in my RaceFace bash ring to get painted along with the frame.

N-Stop to help prevent dropping the chain

Full Frontal: (yes, I know I need to cut the hydro lines)

Had Walt put a chain hanger on it....not something you see often these days

And finally, a side-view shot. As soon as I dial in stem length and rise I'll hack down the steer tube to a reasonable level. Notice the lack of straps holding the grunge-guard on. I had Walt put bottle-cage mounts on the downtube to attach the guard. Not my idea but a nice touch nonetheless.

EDIT: Crap. my cold fingers messed up and dropped the T from Waltworks. Can a moderator fix that for me? lol

·
Registered
496 Posts
Very nice

Looks like real sweet ride you've got there, Like the steel frame with the normal straight seat and chainstays, the chain hanger is a classic touch, haven't seen that in a while

Enjoy the classic steel ride.
VernDogger

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
Looks like a great ride. I'm a big fan of Walt's work.

I'm projecting here and I apologize, but have you considered a custom stem to get your desired bar position without resorting to such a tall stack of spacers?

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Vecsus said:
After four months of waiting, my Waltworks finally arrived yesterday.
Looks awesome! I really like the color, and just noticed myself today that Walt has an entirely new color chart available. That was his only weakness, IMO, poor color selection. Had to send mine to Spectrum to get something I liked. Like that Grunge Board touch too, I had those same bosses added to my Clockwork, looks much cleaner without the rubber straps. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vernon VernDog said:
Looks like real sweet ride you've got there, Like the steel frame with the normal straight seat and chainstays, the chain hanger is a classic touch, haven't seen that in a while

Enjoy the classic steel ride.
VernDogger
I asked about s-bend stays but Walt said it wasn't necessary. I like the look of the clean, straight lines.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smudge said:

I'm projecting here and I apologize, but have you considered a custom stem to get your desired bar position without resorting to such a tall stack of spacers?
Yes, I have considered that. I just need to dial in my position and then I will start looking for something custom. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
179 Posts
smudge said:

It looks to me like a riser bar would help out greatly over the flat bar in this case.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lama said:
It looks to me like a riser bar would help out greatly over the flat bar in this case.
Yeah..gonna install my old riser later today and see what that does. I got the flat bar because I figured the bigger wheels would put my front end a bit higher than it was on my 26er. I figured wrong. Too many other things changed I guess.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rainman said:
Good looking WW.. love the bashguard..:D

My only nit is the top bar cable guides...:nono:
R.
I went with top routing because of the repair stand I have. I can clamp down on the TT without messing with the cables.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
durkind said:
Just interested to hear why you went with a White Bros fork over a Walt fork. Trying to decide on steel fork or carbon myself.
Thanks
Actually, it was an accident that I ended up with the WB fork. There was a misunderstanding in my original order form to Walt about getting one of his forks. By the time it came for my build it was pushing close to the holidays and it would have been hard for him to make a fork he had not planned on. But that same week he got a small number of the WB forks to sell. I got a real nice price on it.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Even though my own taste tends towards the "lime" and "tang" colors, I like the curry. A lot. Nice choice.

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
Badger

Vecsus said:
Yes, I have considered that. I just need to dial in my position and then I will start looking for something custom. Any recommendations?
Rob at Badger Cycles is now making stems. You could probably have it powder coated to match the frame as well.

Great looking ride BTW. Look forward to the ride reports.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Very nice ride Vecsus!! I like the parts you chose - they are solid and a reasonable weight. The color looks really nice too.

I'm still waiting for my walt frame and goodies - my package should be here by the middle of next week. Look for a silver walt single speed in the SS forum by the end of the week (It will be a 26er - oh the shame).

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Overkill said:
Very nice ride Vecsus!! I like the parts you chose - they are solid and a reasonable weight. The color looks really nice too.
The only parts I had to acquire were the 29er-specific bits. I had everything else from a FS 26er I stripped down.

Thanks for the positive comments all. Was not exactly sure how the color and build would be received. Looking forward to a first real ride on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.