Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently using FLOAT 100RLC. Should I change to F100x vs. Minute 2:00?

I was wondering if I would be gain anything significant by changing from a Fox Float 100RLC to a F100x or a Manitou Minute 2:00? I like the damping feel of the RLC and was wondering how the intertia valve or SPV would feel different? I ride a VPP bike.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Get a cartridge from Fox

for $150 you can get an f100x cartridge from fox. I put one in my RLC a while back and love it. It should be known that I ride a titanium single speed. I love the feel of the lockout, the fork feels as plush to me when i hit a bump as it did with RLC cartridge in it. Great feeling when you hammer, no bobbing!

·
"Excellent!"
83 Posts
Before you decide, check out the Stratos ID cartridge

I think the Stratos ID cartridge is alot better than the Fox brain cartridge.The Stratos has a much faster reacting inertia valve because of the Ricor patents (circa 1990's) that I licensed to Stratos. Inertia valves have to be hydraullicly manipulated to make sure they open and close at the right time. The Fox system has a "time delay" for 1 to 2 seconds. The Stratos ID system reacts within milliseconds because the inertia valve is forced open and closed. This also prevents the inertia valve from sticking. I could go on and I know that I'm biased but I hope this helps. Don Richardson P.S. Inertia valve shocks are the future on anything that moves !!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Shocknerd said:
I think the Stratos ID cartridge is alot better than the Fox brain cartridge.The Stratos has a much faster reacting inertia valve because of the Ricor patents (circa 1990's) that I licensed to Stratos. Inertia valves have to be hydraullicly manipulated to make sure they open and close at the right time. The Fox system has a "time delay" for 1 to 2 seconds. The Stratos ID system reacts within milliseconds because the inertia valve is forced open and closed. This also prevents the inertia valve from sticking. I could go on and I know that I'm biased but I hope this helps. Don Richardson P.S. Inertia valve shocks are the future on anything that moves !!!
Don
It's obvious you know exponentially more about shocks than I, but as an owner of a F100X, there is no 1 to 2 second delay in any setting and/or on any type of bump.

That said, will the ID fit in an F100X?
Do you think the extra $100 over the Fox conversion will be well received by riders, or will it appeal to non-Fox fork owners mainly?
Where would a local gear/outdoor writer (read by about 50,000 each week) get one to test for his weekly Gear Box column?
Is there a weight penalty?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
DALI said:
I was wondering if I would be gain anything significant by changing from a Fox 100RLC to a F100x or a Manitou Minute 2:00? I like the damping feel of the RLC and was wondering how the intertia valve or SPV would feel different? I ride a VPP bike.
The F100X is a superior fork to the Minute. That said, I think Manitou's rear spv is much better than Fox's Propedal.
I have a 3 way in the rear and an X in the front.
Having come off a talas 125 rlc, I think you have a great fork as is. If you're into hill climbing or racing or hate brake dive, get the X or the cartridge upgrade. Or just sell the rlc and get an X. You have a win-win situation. Now if you had a Minute and was asking to go to an X (or even to the fork you have now), I'd say do it without hesitation.

·
"Excellent!"
83 Posts
RE: Time delay

Thanks, The time delay feature in the Fox fork is designed to hold the valve for specific period of time(1 to 2) seconds, to make sure it doesn't close before the end of the bump. This is explained in Fox's patent and is what's patented. The Ricor/Stratos patented inertia valve stays open for the bump event but uses the rebound stroke to ram it shut asap.This makes sure that the shock never misses a beat and provides the force needed to overwhelm debris that could cause sticking.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Shocknerd said:
Thanks, The time delay feature in the Fox fork is designed to hold the valve for specific period of time(1 to 2) seconds, to make sure it doesn't close before the end of the bump. This is explained in Fox's patent and is what's patented. The Ricor/Stratos patented inertia valve stays open for the bump event but uses the rebound stroke to ram it shut asap.This makes sure that the shock never misses a beat and provides the force needed to overwhelm debris that could cause sticking.
Ah, I thought you meant the Fox takes 1 or 2 seconds before reacting to a bump. That isn't what you meant, right?

I wish a lightweight xc air shock or fork had independent rebound so it did not effect compression.

·
"Excellent!"
83 Posts
Fox inertia valve delay

danK said:
Ah, I thought you meant the Fox takes 1 or 2 seconds before reacting to a bump. That isn't what you meant, right?

I wish a lightweight xc air shock or fork had independent rebound so it did not effect compression.
Your right, I meant the delay was on closing. If you bounce the front tire, you'll notice you can stroke the fork a few times before the inertia valve resets.The Stratos ID doesn't do that, it resets after each stroke. Have you seen the MBA Stratos ID cartridge reveiw in the Sept. issue? OH YEA

·
Registered
58 Posts
Shocknerd said:
Your right, I meant the delay was on closing. If you bounce the front tire, you'll notice you can stroke the fork a few times before the inertia valve resets.The Stratos ID doesn't do that, it resets after each stroke. Have you seen the MBA Stratos ID cartridge reveiw in the Sept. issue? OH YEA
Finally, someone here speaks out about the Stratos ID. Thanks for noting the differences between the Fox vs. Stratos design. I guess I have to re-read the MBA review again before making my choice to purchase either the Fox $150 cartridge or spend $100 more for the ID unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
danK said:
The F100X is a superior fork to the Minute. That said, I think Manitou's rear spv is much better than Fox's Propedal.
I have a 3 way in the rear and an X in the front.
Having come off a talas 125 rlc, I think you have a great fork as is. If you're into hill climbing or racing or hate brake dive, get the X or the cartridge upgrade. Or just sell the rlc and get an X. You have a win-win situation. Now if you had a Minute and was asking to go to an X (or even to the fork you have now), I'd say do it without hesitation.
Thanks Dan K. That certainly closes the door on the Minute for me. I'll check on the Fox upgrade cartridge instead -- up until now, I did not realize the RLC was upgradeable via this method!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Shocknerd said:
That's why some of the ultra nitpicky riders say the "flaw" with the F100X is that it still acts active when sprinting or climbing after hitting a hole, and it's still bouncing for a few seconds. I can make it bounce on a smooth uphil after hitting a bump, and then combined with a fierce/out of control sprint, it bobs for a bit.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
DALI said:
Thanks Dan K. That certainly closes the door on the Minute for me. I'll check on the Fox upgrade cartridge instead -- up until now, I did not realize the RLC was upgradeable via this method!
I would greatly disagree with danK on this one. The Fox damping is low tech linear damping. Manitou has much more sophisticated damping and is much smoother on the trail. I think the inertial damping is good for singlespeeders and others that are heavy handlebar torquers. It gives a firm rigid feel to the bars and absolutely stops pedal bob (while it's not activated). However, the on/off mechanism doesn't necessarily help with dive and wallow out on the trail while the fork is activated. This is where the SPV compression damping really helps out. After owning several Fox forks, I'm riding a Minute 1 now. It needed some tuning but now rides much better than any of my previous forks.

Besides the Minute, if you want better performance out of your Fox, Push Industries will be offering custom mods for the RLC forks in the next couple weeks. This includes an new custom 2 stage piston with separate high and low speed rebound damping, custom tuning and adjustable platform. The compression dial will adjust the platform and the lockout lever will turn the plaform on and off. This will shore up the weak link in an otherwise great fork. Cost will probably be close to the cost of the inertial damping unit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
F100x cartridge upgrade?

I had no idea you could buy the F100x cartridge upgrade for a standard Float. Does anyone know what level Float is required...R, RL, RLC. And how old are upgradable? How difficult is the installation? Thanks
fezzy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.