Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain bikers of the Internet. Question for y’all. I have a pivot switchblade that came with plus size wheels and tires. I was considering 29er to improve the uphill capability. Do you think I would notice a significant decrease in playfulness and fun factor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cycologist
16,869 Posts
I have Kona Units with 27.5 x 2.8 and 29 x 2.4. I prefer the 29, feels more playful to me. What are you meaning by "improve the uphill capability", climbing steeper grades or just climbing in general?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I tried out a Switchblade a couple of years ago while searching for a new bike. I rode one with 29's, as well as 27.5 plus. My opinion, the 27.5+ felt a little clumsy. At least on the tight rock garden, rooty trails I test rode it on. The non-plus 29's seemed better (less clumsy), but a bit too bulky for the tight stuff. The thinner 29's were a little more predictable on steep technical climbs. The fatter 27.5 plusses a bit more forgiving dropping down slow tech stuff. Honestly, I think 27.5 non plus would have been better as neither sized wheel/tire felt "playful" to me. Just a gut feel. I didn't have the opportunity to try that. Granted, you loose some ground clearance going to 27.5 non plus.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here is my 2.3 x 29" next to my 2.8 x 27.5". The diameter is very close to equal. I like riding both bikes but they do behave differently. if you had a second set of lighter wheels with lighter tires I don't think you would notice a significant change based only on the wheel size but tire size would make a more significant difference.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I hardly notice the difference between wheel sets on my hightowers. One is 29x2.5f/2.4r the other is 27.5+ x 2.6f/2.6r. I have not run the 29's for some time now kind of a waste of SC reserve wheel set but maybe someday I'll use them again.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried out a Switchblade a couple of years ago while searching for a new bike. I rode one with 29's, as well as 27.5 plus. My opinion, the 27.5+ felt a little clumsy. At least on the tight rock garden, rooty trails I test rode it on. The non-plus 29's seemed better (less clumsy), but a bit too bulky for the tight stuff. The thinner 29's were a little more predictable on steep technical climbs. The fatter 27.5 plusses a bit more forgiving dropping down slow tech stuff. Honestly, I think 27.5 non plus would have been better as neither sized wheel/tire felt "playful" to me. Just a gut feel. I didn't have the opportunity to try that. Granted, you loose some ground clearance going to 27.5 non plus.
I've also thought non plus 27.5 would be fun to try...But I agree on the clearance issue. I'd have to certainly shorten my crank length to make that work. With the plus size tires I do sometimes notice what could be described as some clumsiness in the way it handles but I'm also so used to riding it that it hasn't been an issue. I bet if I were to get used to some 29ers and go back to the plus size it would be much more noticeable

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Do it. I was a big fan of plus for safety, but eventually migrated to 29. Climbs long steep hills much better. The plus still offers excellent traction on loose steep, and I like that too. But as and overall ride, 29 wheelset saw a lot more riding than the plus wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
29x2.3/4 will defiantly be less effort climbing and making speed than plus 2.8, provided you go with a fairly light set of tires on comparable or lighter wheelset. I just done the same thing to try to help keep up with my XC buddies. To me it made a huge difference in in both climbing and speed. I do however miss the massive grip and softer ride.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
I hated B+ on my Switchblade. Rekon too fragile and reboundy. Stiffer casing tires, too heavy. Going downhill my bike would twerk, very annoying. I rarely see B+ anymore. I would try a demo. Could be an expensive mistake, like mine. A Switchblade with DHF/Aggressor type 29er tires is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hated B+ on my Switchblade. Rekon too fragile and reboundy. Stiffer casing tires, too heavy. Going downhill my bike would twerk, very annoying. I rarely see B+ anymore. I would try a demo. Could be an expensive mistake, like mine. A Switchblade with DHF/Aggressor type 29er tires is awesome.

Buying a set of 29er wheels could be an expensive mistake?

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
Only if you don't like 29er. But I'm cheap and I hate selling stuff so may not apply to you. Plus I had the Reynolds wheels$$$ and tried every B+ tire under the sun

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.