Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping people will post the conditions they find over the nest few days. I'll start:

Saturday at the Fish Hatchery - The road was not plowed. We had to park and ride in. 475B was rideable, 225 was semi-rideable. Singletrack, or any double track closed to vehicles was pretty much a no-go. I had to pedal downhill. Mostly pushing up hill. The pic is Seinard Ridge.

I'm planning to ride BC tomorrow, any thoughts on that? Thanks for the help. We got zero snow in Greenville, so it's hard for me to judge how much melting there's been.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Conditions were slightly better on Clawhammer and Buckhorn today. I only went up 2.5 miles to Buckhorn and then down and back to the stables. Plenty of downhill pedaling through crunchy snow, but there was a decent amount of clear trail on Buckhorn. The log bridge at the Buckhorn / Avery intersection is a thrill as the handrail has fallen into the creek :eek: Clawhammer itself was a mix of clear road and walking on snow. 477 wasn't rideable at all. Just a few clear patches, still 4+ inches of snow/ice and no vehicle traffic at all at the Buckhorn trailhead. My guess is they've gated it up at the top as well.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Stones said:
I'm visiting from Georgia with all this snow on the ground I'm worried I will drive somewhere and it will be closed, anyone have a good recommendation around Asheville, NC?
Paris Mountain State Park, Greenville SC. But not on Saturday. It's closer than you think.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Clearing trails

Hey all, we will be doing some work this weekend to clear the deadfall in both RH and BC. From the sound of it nothing will be ridable for a while. So if you want to check out trail conditions AND get a workout this weekend keep an eye on the PAS forum.

Ben

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
litespeedchick said:
I'm planning to ride BC tomorrow, any thoughts on that? Thanks for the help. We got zero snow in Greenville, so it's hard for me to judge how much melting there's been.
It seems pretty damn IRRESPONSIBLE to come up here and ride trails that are obviously saturated from 17 inches of snow when you could have stayed in SC and rode dry ones. In fact, it seems pretty stupid.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cruso414 said:
It seems pretty damn IRRESPONSIBLE to come up here and ride trails that are obviously saturated from 17 inches of snow when you could have stayed in SC and rode dry ones. In fact, it seems pretty stupid.
Cruso, that is SO sweet of you to be all concerned that I might have made a wasted trip to NC, but don't worry, we had a great time! A lof the trails at BC had seen foot and bike traffic, so there was a track to ride in...most of the time. There was also a fair amount of pushing, but it was a blast.

Oh, and for the record, just in case anyone was interested, there aren't any DRY trails in Greenville. I said we got zero snow...water DID fall from the sky here, just not the frozen kind. And speaking of frozen, it was 27 degrees when we rode...so frozen ground..you know?

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Tsali(rode it today) has more blowdowns then I've ever seen there. Maybe 30+ just for Mouse/Thompson alone. Relatively dryish tho..for Tsali.

Zero snow. All melted a week ago.

That is all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
litespeedchick said:
Cruso, that is SO sweet of you to be all concerned that I might have made a wasted trip to NC, but don't worry, we had a great time! A lof the trails at BC had seen foot and bike traffic, so there was a track to ride in...most of the time. There was also a fair amount of pushing, but it was a blast.

Oh, and for the record, just in case anyone was interested, there aren't any DRY trails in Greenville. I said we got zero snow...water DID fall from the sky here, just not the frozen kind. And speaking of frozen, it was 27 degrees when we rode...so frozen ground..you know?
well said:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah, riding at night or early in the am, the ground is frozen, so mud's not a problem.
Last night, I found the following to be fairly ride-able at Bent Creek with ZERO down trees:
From Ledford parking lot>Ledford gap road>Sidehill road>Ingles Field Connector>Ingles Field>Hickory Top>the road down to Lower Sidehill.

The rest had a lot of trees down, but up to a point, was all still rideable:
Rideable>Lower Sidehill>Lower Sidehill Connector>479>bridge/road to the lowest part of Explorer.

The First part of the lowest part of Explorer was rideable.
Unfortunately, parts of the "rhodo tunnel" have collapsed.
I then rode PineTree along the creek back to the lake. This trail was thrashed. 10-plus downed trees.

I absolutely would not have enjoyed this in the middle of the day, I was clearly riding across what would be extremely muddy and wet thawing mud/snow/ice if it hadn't have been 24 degrees outside....

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Duckman said:
Tsali(rode it today) has more blowdowns then I've ever seen there. Maybe 30+ just for Mouse/Thompson alone. Relatively dryish tho..for Tsali.

Zero snow. All melted a week ago.

That is all.
I'm sure the Forest service will be using the thousands of user fee dollars collected over the years to clear those trees right out, just like the sign says. After all, they have such a great track record of using that money for it's intended purpose.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
litespeedchick said:

oh trust me, I wasn't concerned about you making a wasted trip. In case reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I was pointing out how irresponsible it is for you to come up here and ride trails that are a slopfest. You are the one that seems to get off on telling people what is irresponsible and whining to the moderator, so reap what you sow.

According to most of the posts about paris mountain, the trails are dry down there so that is why I said you could stay in SC and ride there.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Mike Brown said:
I'm sure the Forest service will be using the thousands of user fee dollars collected over the years to clear those trees right out, just like the sign says. After all, they have such a great track record of using that money for it's intended purpose.
I sense a little sarcasm?

You are correct to point out that the FS should jump on clearing out this trail system lickity split being that it is a fee area.

I should share with all that the FS does intend to do a large contract for trail maintenence of all single track at Tsali in 2010. That will be funded by ARRA funds.

Woody

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
ds68698 said:
She said the trails were frozen. Guess you're the one that needs to comprehend.
Hey moron, as if anyone invited you into this flame war, if you can read she said she was planning on riding bent creek tomorrow (today). It's a slop-fest here and since she appointed her self the thread police and resident tattle-tale, I am pointing out how irresponsible her riding up here is.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Concentrate, and try to grasp these two points:

1. If you type the word "tomorrow" on Monday, then the day in question is actually Tuesday, which would then become "yesterday" on Wednesday.

2. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I had anything to do with a thread getting deleted, but I assure you I have never asked a mod to take down any thread, on any board, at any time, ever.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Mike for all those details. Did you ride all that last night in the dark?!?

We might do BC again on Saturday on the theory that it gets the most use in Pisgah and therefore the most foot/bike traffic to clear a path. Although perhaps the 46 degree Hi and rain on Thurday will wash a lot of it away. And with Saturday topping out at 28 according to Ray, I don't think mud will be an issue. Blue toes may be an issue, but not mud ;-)

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
litespeedchick said:
Concentrate, and try to grasp these two points:

1. If you type the word "tomorrow" on Monday, then the day in question is actually Tuesday, which would then become "yesterday" on Wednesday.

2. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I had anything to do with a thread getting deleted, but I assure you I have never asked a mod to take down any thread, on any board, at any time, ever.
either day, it is extremely muddy.........get it?

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Today. the wife ran the first Right loop alternate(4 mile loop, also known as the last section of the SERC race) and said there was at leat 20 trees down over that short of distance. Fwiw.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I went up and down on foot from 276 to Hickory Knob on Black Mtn. today. It's a complete mix of mud, rideable trail, packed snow/ice, and crunchy snow. I didn't go past the top towards Pressley but it was complete crunchy snow as far as you could see, no brown forest floor, just all white.

The trail is pretty clear of debris, with a few small patches of downed rhodos. There is a huge dead hemlock that fell upslope but it is high enough over the trail not to block it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.