Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Single speed
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'All,

Just wondering if anyone went to Hilton Falls today?

There's a group leaving Vineland Timmy Ho's monday morning @ 8 am. Heading up to test their medal on the rocks and roots of Hilton Falls.

Does anyone know the current trail conditions at Hilton Falls?

Inquiring minds wanna know if they should leave their Studded Nokian's on or go with the high volume fatties?

Most of the snow melted down this way. But how did it fare in the woods at Hilton Falls?

Any info would be much appreciated.

We'll be parking at Mohawk Raceway and rolling out at around 9 AM if anyone would like to join.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Trails were pretty frozen. 90% of the trails we were on was rideable. Some areas where the snow was less ridden were a bit tricky as it got warmer.

Generally I don't find a need for studs for most of the winter riding I do there but they would have been handy to have in a few sections where the trail was ice. If you do not have studs, I suggest walking some of the bridges. Some of them were coated with a thin layer of slick ice.

Since so much melted there was quite a bit of water in a few areas. We had to do a few creek crossings that resulted in a few cold toes.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Video looks great McGyver.
I haven't done Hilton in the winter. I think I will have to give it a try.
Should I run the studded tires, or the 235 knobbies?
Post some pics.

·
Single speed
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only a few times did I need studs

Trails were great! Fun with or with out studs. A little closer to the edge without the studs.
I took a few pics on the wrong setting. But better than nothing.
nspace

smarty and timtrekker

Most of the double track had lots of ice.
A few spots in the single track were icy.

Obviously bridge crossings and creek crossings were pretty scary.

Hope the conditions stay good far a while.
Hoping to get back there again.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
hmm... talk of wet shoes make the basement rides seem more bearable. Still, looks like a fun ride :thumbsup:

I can't wait for my studs to arrive so I can feel comfortable in conditions like that, but tomorrow I think I will be ok without. Fresh snow will be fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.