Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cant get my 06 Fly to feel right with the Curnutt. I have tried 65-100psi and just cant get it to feel plush on the small stuff. It pedals great and handles drops awesome, but the small bumps just feel and sound terrible. I can feel the clunk in my feel and hear the clunk. I thought I would get use to it after a few rides but my Avalanche is going back on.

How do you Fly guys have your Curnutts set up? Does the clunk feeling ever go away after the shock breaks in?

I am 180 with a 400lb Ti spring. Im running 75psi, compression is set at 2 clicks from softest, and the rebound is about in the middle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one not happy with the clunking sound and stiff feel on small stuff. I just fixed it 2 weeks ago, got a avalanche chubie, feels sooo much better and with the hi/low adjuster it can be made to pedal pretty good and be plush.

05 inferno w/66rc2x

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just sent my Avalanche in to get the hi/lo adjuster and I thought Id ride the Curnutt till the Avy shows back up. The Curnutt is terrible. I want my Avalanche back. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Kanter, just out of intrest dude what is the Avalanche shock you have on your Fly and what is the spec, stroke - eye to eye etc. I am considering getting one myself.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enduro SX said:
Kanter, just out of intrest dude what is the Avalanche shock you have on your Fly and what is the spec, stroke - eye to eye etc. I am considering getting one myself.
Cheers
The Avy is the same size as the Curnutt 11.25x3.0. Call Avy and they can set you up.

My Ti-Curnutt is now my back up shock. :)

The Avy is soooo much better in almost every aspect, except pedaling. BUT, now that the Avy has the hi/lo adjuster it should pedal very well too. I see no reason to run a Curnutt.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am having the same issue with the curnutt on the fxr. Glad to see I am not
the only one. I just ordered a fox dhx air and I am going to try that thing out.

I wish I would have known that avalanch had a 11.25 x 3.00 shock.
How much more than the curnutt does it weigh?

tender J

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The DHS Avy weighs about 1/4 pound heavier. Its more like 100grams heavier. This is the Ti Curnutt vs the Ti Avy.

The new Avy Montie weighs LESS than the Curnutt.

·
Mr.Secret
635 Posts
kanter said:
I just cant get my 06 Fly to feel right with the Curnutt. I have tried 65-100psi and just cant get it to feel plush on the small stuff. It pedals great and handles drops awesome, but the small bumps just feel and sound terrible. I can feel the clunk in my feel and hear the clunk. I thought I would get use to it after a few rides but my Avalanche is going back on.

How do you Fly guys have your Curnutts set up? Does the clunk feeling ever go away after the shock breaks in?

I am 180 with a 400lb Ti spring. Im running 75psi, compression is set at 2 clicks from softest, and the rebound is about in the middle.
Back in my motorcycle racing days, 30 yrs. ago, we nicknamed Curnutt, Cur-clunk:p

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the info Kanter. That a pretty orange by the way. I guess that
was custom?? Our new shop is next door to a powder coater so mine
is going in monday for it's first coat. My buddy actually annodized his
bright green, came out o.k.

Anyway, wish I would have heard the cur-clunk nick name before I ordered this thing.
I would have just ordered an avy and ordered the frame without a shock.
Live and learn, I guess it will be nice to have a back up shock when I replace the
cur-clunk.

·
Registered
226 Posts
kanter said:

Bro.

I am 165ish and I run a Fly with a 300 spring. Technically, it is too light, but it provides the plushness and the valving gives the rampup for big hits. I vary my psi from 50 to 60, depending. I recommend that most with Curnutts should run a spring that is ONE level lighter and let the air chamber do its thing.

I do notice that the small bump compliance is not what it could be to other shocks. However, the mid stroke and big hit capability of the Curnutt cannot be beat by anyother. I like the idea of the Avy, but the remote resevoir is a potential nightmare if a crash happens and with the resevoir exposed, I see trouble. This is not to say it is certain, but possible.

The clunk is noticeable on level ground, but I have found that once on the trail it disappears. You have to realize that the recommended spring rates and psi ratings are that to err on the side of dummies; ie: they are there to provide the rider with idiot proof setups. IF the minimum is set at 65 there will be no issue of bottoming. I run 50 psi (the lowest level in my manual) and I have never bottomed the shock. You have to take the time to try all settings.

BTW, my spring rating of 300 for my weight was Rich Cleveland recommended. Foes doesn't want a lot of blown up shocks so the settings are set high to be safe.

I guess everyone decides for themselves but hey, so be it.

Ride on.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Foes recommended a 450 but I went with a 400 because I had heard the same thing. I have run all air pressures and I can say the clunk sounds and feels terrible on fast trails at all psi. I really dont mind it on slower techy trails. And yes it pedals great. Now that the Avy has a hi and a lo speed adjustment it pedals ALMOST as well..... ALMOST.

If you road my Fly with the Avy you would never run the Curnutt again. I agree that the Curnutt rocks on mid and big sized drops but Im not alway doing big drops. I like my bike to ride plush all the time. The Avy feels almost exactly like the Curnutt on drops but it is SUPER plush on the small stuff. Ill have to let you ride it this summer when I make it to the shore.

As for the reservoir, it is really tucked away where it is mounted. I guess I could see it being a problem but there is almost no way to hit it. The seat protects it from a hit when the seat is down.

When I oredered my FLY, Foes would not sell it to me without a shock even though it was a crash replacement.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you get the same travel with the air shock as opposed to the Curnutt? If the shock stroke is less, you get less travel.

BTW, why is the rear end yellow? Is it a warranty replacement, custom colour scheme? Just curious. It looks interesting; not something I would have but certainly stands out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Same travel. The stroke is still 3.00". Just has a shorter eye to eye.
The front and rear are custom powder coated. The front looks like the the foes silver in the pictures but looks pretty different in real life. I wasn't sure about it either when I first got it
done, but it's growing on me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Romic on my Fly: bottomless smooth with no clunky feel, could use a 400 lb spring I think (I'm 160 and have a 350 now).

Curnutt on my FXR: feels like a hardtail on flat but slightly rough trail, feel "something" clunkish in the shock on little transitions on smooth trail, but great control and suspension action when trail is rough enough to actually get the suspension moving.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys look, I found out how to fix the Curnutt!!!

Replace it.
I know this thread is very old. I just built up an 06' FXR. Im looking to put a Fox air shock on it like this. Any specs you can give me on the adaptor and the model shock? I have a friend who is a machinist who could make me an adaptor if I had some numbers/specs. Please and thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts