Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to go on the first offroad ride of the year and found that my bike had gotten way heavier over the winter, the climbs got longer and steeper and gravity was stronger than last year. I've noticed the same thing in previous years, but the effects are getting stronger every year. I wonder if it's connected to global warming or something... :shocked:

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,603 Posts
I get the same thing every spring as well! Maybe it is because the melted snow unweights the ground and suddenly in order to put everything back into balance everything else on the surface of the earth becomes heavier?
JK. My bike never feels heavier in the Spring. I lift it all Winter to keep up my arm strength.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You just need 1 part to change all that. Upgrade something. It does wonders and it's probably on sale......
No, that didn't work. Just got the bike at the end of the riding season last year and this was my fourth ride on it, plus I just converted it to 1x10 so there's several new parts that were on their first ride. It's an interesting theory though and I'll have to test it further. I was a little over confident in configuring the 1x10 and got a 32t chainring, then noticed that most people who did the conversion were going with a 30t. In hind sight, that's what I should have done too.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,603 Posts
You just need 1 part to change all that. Upgrade something. It does wonders and it's probably on sale......
I have upgraded so many things on my bike this winter that my bike is very different from last season.
Winter upgrades: Fork, Brakes, Front Tire, Handlebar, Seatpost, Saddle, and headset spacers.
Hopefully it warms up here so I can take it for a real ride.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I noticed that gravity was a lot stronger this spring too. Then after a few weeks, at least around here, I noticed that gravity was starting to weaken up a bit.

But then I got on a road bike again, and it seems that the wind got a lot stronger and more constant since last fall, and it was always going against me. :madman:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I remember that phenomenon. Then I pointed my wagon west, and then south, and it stopped. Now I deal with the phenomenon known as 'I can cook breakfast on the sidewalk in the summer'.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Change out the air in your tires. It condenses over the winter, adds rotating weight.
Air? There's supposed to be air in the tires??? I thought with tubeless tires you're supposed to fill them with sealant. :skep:
That explains all the sloshing sounds. I just thought it was my CamelBak.

·
Banned
266 Posts
I noticed that gravity was a lot stronger this spring too. Then after a few weeks, at least around here, I noticed that gravity was starting to weaken up a bit.

But then I got on a road bike again, and it seems that the wind got a lot stronger and more constant since last fall, and it was always going against me. :madman:
Funny how you tend to have a tailwind at the start of a ride on the road in the springtime. Then suffer with a head wind to get back home.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Funny how you tend to have a tailwind at the start of a ride on the road in the springtime. Then suffer with a head wind to get back home.
I head west, against the prevailing winds, so it's usually a headwind on the way out and a tailwind on the way in. But the tailwind never feels as strong as the headwind. Actually, yesterday I got really lucky. I headed out and it was mostly just cloudy with an approaching storm, but not much of a headwind. Then I turned around at the end of the route and the wind picked up big-time, giving me a great tailwind for the way home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.