Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been basking in this bike. Just basking. Now, I love Cunninghams and have for more than 20 years. I even a couple nice examples. Still, I was bummed because I didn't have the One - the Cunningham that I had always wanted, not as a pristine collectors piece but with all the little details that I had been fetishizing since I was a freshman in high school ... or maybe before. I'm talking about the machined bulge in the seat tube, ultra long gussets, machined dropouts, etc etc. And a perfect fit too, I wanted that. Very luckily for me one of our own had the bike I wanted and with some sweet words I was able to make it mine.

The box arrived looking like this:

I saw it when I was leaving for work and didn't have time to check. All day I was in a foul mood and on edge. This was a bike that I couldn't repair. I didn't get home from the office till nearly one in the morning and first thing I did was tear open the packing. Relief flooded through me when I found the bike to be packed perfectly and in perfect shape, good use notwithstanding.

The bike needs some work. The forks need to be repainted, rusty bolts and crusty tires replaced. I'll replace the 22 inch bars with 24 inch bars. Most importantly, I replace the fugly replacement stem with something appropriate and fillet brazed. I'll polish the frame up too and add a chainstay protector. That stuff is all wrapping though. This beast has a heart of gold. It is my numero uno.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Damn dude, that's enough good kharma sent your way, time to share the wealth. ;)

There's gotta be an old Potts or Deluxe that needs a happy home, how bout saying one of those magic prayers for me? :thumbsup:

Seriously nice score, it's cool to have your dream come to fruition.

Congrats,

rody

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
wowzaa!

not as cool as my Faux-Yeti but pretty nice....what am I saying :eek: ? I like it and it looks like my size ;) Congrats...:thumbsup:

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
bushpig said:
I'm guessing the headset is original. Charlie was funny about the WTB/King headsets. I see a lot of his bikes without them. Ditto WTB shifter mounts.
Most of those West Coast guys seemed to love the Shimano 600 and Dura-Ace headsets with the knurled adjustment. They were great headsets and I have a few NOS ones in a box awaiting projects.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.