Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has any personnel experience with Cube bikes?

Read a few reviews and such (which generally give a good opinion) but would prefer the opinions of people who have actually owned/ridden these bikes.

Not seen many of them around New Zealand, certainly not in any of my local bike shops, but a dealer on the South Island (where I can't easily get to look at them) has some that seem really good value.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have owned one last year and my wife has one. My friend had a Cube FS and my other friend rides a Cube HT.
In my opinion they are very good bikes for the money. They come well specced, with no cheap parts (my friend's £1200 Cube FS had XT hubs, not something most people would notice and they could have fitted cheaper ones)

The bikes ride well, maybe there is a lack of passion to them, but it could be just me. It feels like they are designed on a desktop and a machine spits out complete bikes, without any human being riding them.

But that is probably just me. None of us have had
any trouble with Cube bikes and l would buy one again.

For instance the 2014 AMS 160 (£1899) comes with full XT transmission and a Rock Shox Pike.....how do they do that?

One other thing, common to many products these days, is they have built in obsolescence.
So for instance if you break/damage the frame on your 2013 Cube LTD then you are not going to get a new frame from Cube....obsolete Sir.

But my 2013 Kona FS has Easton wheels, l recently needed to replace the freehub body, only to find it was discontinued.

Faced with buying new wheels, l managed to find an online shop in Korea with a couple of the freehubs left in stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Everything I'm reading about them backs up what you say! Not the best , not the worst and definitely good value

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have been out of the cube loop for a few years now but used to work in a bike shop that was the only dealer in the area, cube dealt direct with the shops at the time and had a 'No marble floors' policy in the offices so instead of shiny lovely offices and much advertising they put the money into the bikes,
They do come well spec'd for the money, the more XC orientated Doo come a little steeper and long stems over the competition and as above, they Really do feel a little parted from passionate employees, but, without being anti anyone, they arw typically german! ;-)
Well spec'd, good value for money, well reviewed bikes, we used to shift an Awful lot of them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info....I like the idea they let their products do the talking rather than wasting money on fancy corporate niceties! Gonna take the plunge and get one once I've paid the credit card off!

And yeah I know about working with Germans, worked for a large German multinational for 8 years! Nice people, just didn't understand my sense of humour!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts