Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
23 racers started this years rendition of the Colorado Trail Race! A huge thanks to Marni Plesko for gathering all the names, handing out all the SPOTs, and starting off the racers. She also took some pictures of the racers, and I will post those as soon as I can. Also a big round of applause for Matthew Lee and the TD racers that sent me their SPOT units to use for the CTR. I'll call 'em out by name in my next post.

The 2008 CTR started at 12:04 this afternoon (7/28), so I would expect to hear from the front runners around noon tomorrow in Frisco or Copper. Maybe sooner considering the strength of this year's field! Hopefully the SPOT Leaderboard will give us some good spectating, although not all of the racers are carrying SPOTs. We should also hear from all the racers via Joe Polk MTBcasting the callins, and some may be sending text messages via cellphone to Twitter - username: CTR2, passwd: rideyourassoff

And without further ado, here is the list of starters: (updated regularly with call-in info)

Ethan Passant -- Finishes on 8/2 @ 14:30 for the win and a new CTR record of 5d02h26m
Jason Shelman (SS) -- Finishes second on 8/2 @ 15:53 with a time of 5d03h49m
Chris Plesko (SS) -- Finishes third on 8/2 @ 18:31 for a time of 5d06h27m
Jeff Oatley -- Finishes on 8/3 @ 11:51 for a time of 5d23h47m
Brad Kee -- Finishes on 8/3 @ 16:10 for a time of 6d04h06m
Trish Stevenson -- Finishes on 8/4 @ 13:50 as the first ever female finisher in 7d01h46m
Dan Montgomery -- Finishes on 8/4 @ 18:49 for a time of 7d06h45m
Dennis Helton -- Finishes on 8/4 @ 19:04 for a time of 7d07h00m
Matt Fusco -- Finishes on 8/5 @ 15:18 for a time of 8d03h14m
Marshal Bird -- Suffers a serious crash warranting a trip to the ER on 8/5 only 40 miles from Durango
Eddie Turkaly -- 8/5 @ 09:24 crashes out before Durango
Chris Neumann -- 8/3 @ 13:10 reluctantly throws in the towel
Doug Johnson -- 8/1 @ 18:49 pulls out at Hwy. 114 - knees exploding
Pete Basinger -- 8/1 @ 19:23 bails out - sick of hike-a-bike
Chuck Ray -- 8/1, not enough time at this pace. Returning to Nederland.
Curtis Burge -- 8/1 @ 13:33, checking out at Cottonwood Hot Springs
Tim Graczyk (Fixed Gear!) -- 8/1 @ 08:06, heading home from B.V.
Jim Ishman (SS) -- 7/31 @ 22:18 pulls out in Leadville
Dave Nice (Fixie!) -- 7/31 @ 15:11, calls it quits near Copper
Keith Eckstein -- 7/31 @ 15:08 Out - stomach flu or food poisoning in Frisco
Alison Gannet -- 7/30 @ 06:56 out. E. Coli infection!
Kyle Stone -- 7/30 @ 12:39, Pulling the plug at Kenosha Pass
Travis Butler (SS) -- 7/29 @ 13:20, Pulling the plug in Tarryall due to jacked up knees.

Pre-race pictures.

Anyone want to help with the others?
0051, 0052 - Alison Gannet
0053 - Dave Nice
0054, 0055 - Dave Nice and ??
0059, 0060 - Travis Butler
0061, 0062 - Matt Fusco
0063, 0064 - Jeff Oatley
0065, 0066 - Jim Ishman
0069, 0070 - Kyle Stone
0071, 0072 - Chris Neumann
0073,0074 - Chuck Wray
0075 - Jason Shelman
0076, 0077 - Marshal Bird
0082 - Chris Plesko and others

That's a tremendous showing - over twice as many as last year, with three return pain seekers! I can't wait to watch this one!

On a slightly personal note, and the reason why I missed the pre-race mtg and start, it is very fitting that since I came out of last year's CTR ready to have kids that my first one should be born on this year's CTR start date! A happy, healthy boy, and a good omen for all of this year's racers. Go get 'em guys!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
CBaron said:
Anyone know whats up with the SPOT "dots" not being available for the passed 12 hrs?
Thanks,
CJB
We got word from SPOT that they were upgrading their shared page functionality yesterday/last night and the pages (and therefore the leaderboard) will be up sometime today. They are a west coast company as well, so that ought to effect the time it goes back up.

Just bad timing that the service upgrade coincided with the start of the CTR.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
23 racers in the 2nd year is amazing. Makes my ITT seem really lonely by comparision. I may be forced to ride it each year if it becomes a group ride!!! I think Jefe's record could be in trouble with all the competition out there.

Go Dave Nice Go- finishing is your only option brother. I am following your blue dot (when visible) any chance I get. I may even try to show up for a little ride/pep talk if I can find you.

Cheers to all you out there- I hope you have tailwinds, partly cloudy weather and friendly trail magic to help your journey.

Congrats Stefan on the baby- custom Moots ti trailer on the way with formula in the tubes? You could theoretically break the father/son CTR record you know!!

Mark

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call-in: 7/29 @ 13:20, Travis Butler in Tarryall

This is Travis Butler, callin' from Tarryall. I'm pullin' the plug. I've got a couple of jacked up knees. Good time, but uhh, next time I'm going to, umm, have some gears, instead of just one. So, anyway, just letting you all know.

Bummer, Travis. I was rooting for ya! I hope you still have a great vacation in Colorado and maybe get to ride a bit more of the trail in a few days! BTW, everyone, I am going to keep updating/editing the first post in this thread to reflect callins as I get them. --Stefan

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SPOT loaners

A big thanks to all the TDers that loaned out their SPOTs!

Matthew Lee
Kevin Montgomery
Geoff Roes
Mary Collier
Andy Buchanan
Felix Wong
Adrian Stingaciu
Ardie Olson
Stephen Gleasner
Leighton White
Mike Dion

When Marni handed 'em out at the start, everyone who wanted one got one, and there was only one left over! Now if only SPOT would get their shared page fixed!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Stefan_G said:
A happy, healthy boy, and a good omen for all of this year's racers. Go get 'em guys!!!
Congrats! Thanks for your hard work on this project, makes us couch-racers that much more tuned in. Its really cool to watch the progress (Cmon Spot! :) ) as the race develops.

My wife and I were expecting our baby boy on Sunday, but we're still waiting. Maybe we will have CTR bookending babies, yours at the start and mine when someone finishes in the next few days.

Good luck (and weather) to all you racers, I am in awe.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Call-in: 7/29 @ 15:05, Ethan Passant in Copper

Hey, it's Ethan Passant. I'm in Copper... Later!

Ethan appears to be out front, blazing the path for the others!

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Call-in: 7/29 @ 16:26, Doug Johnson in Frisco

Hi, this is Doug Johnson calling in from Frisco. Been here for awhile, umm, restin', eatin', so forth. Things are going pretty well I guess. Got a little dehydrated going to Buffalo Creek, but after I made it to the water, the detour went much better than the ride there, and had to leap-frog all the vampires that rode through the night. And... pretty hard ride from Kenosha to Gold Hill, but now I'm refueling and gonna tackle that 7 miles of bike path over to Copper Mountain, and I'll prolly call you later.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Call-in: 7/29 @ 17:00, Chris Plesko in Copper

Hey everybody, this is Chris. It is just before 5 o'clock and everything's been going good. The riding today was definitely tough, but I'm having a good time and gonna get some food and then, uh, take off and see how far I can get tonight. Alright, that's about all I got. Bye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
go ethan

Damn just got home from work and still no leader board! They're killing me.

Ethan looks to be in form! A little surprising considering his lead up to the CTR. Mtn bike race on Thursday night right into 3 days of road racing at the Omnium in Salida and then starting the CTR on Monday!
We picked him up in Salida on the way to Denver. His crit had just finished in a downpour. He toweled off in the parking lot, rinsed his chamois out in the Arkansas river and jumped in the car, announcing his excitement for the CTR. freak.

Anyway I'm glad the weather settled some today. It rained the whole way home on hwy 285 yesterday and the area around buff creek looked pretty black

jason

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Call-in: 7/29 @ 17:53, Doug Johnson in Copper

Hey, it's Doug Johnson calling in from Copper Ethan was the only person in front, but it looks like while I was vacationing in Frisco, a few people jumped ahead of me. I'll try to make it up to leadville tonight and see how that goes. Tell Sarah I rode with the guy who rode the cruiser bike in the new belgium TB commercial, but he wasn't on a cruiser bike, he was on a real mountain bike.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.