Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the CT-thru-ride thing starting July 3rd in Denver. Reading some other stuff on here, looks like the higher passes may still have a bit of snow/thaw going on.
Likely true by then?
If so, approximately what should be avoided?
Suggested alternates (not afraid of some non-highway pavement).
Thanks
Mike

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Hi Mike-

Likely very true. However, I have not been on any of the segments yet this year, so hopefully someone else will chime in with direct experience.

In 2005, it was a big spring snow year with similar snow levels to this year. The last week of June, I attempted a somewhat supported thru-ride, and the following segments were impassable:

Breck to Copper (easily detoured on 10-mile bike path)
Searle Pass to Kokomo Pass. (not a very good detour that I know of except highways)
Molas Pass to Blackhawk Pass (detour along 550, then reconnect through Purgatory?)
Indian Trail Ridge - basically from the Grindstone Trail to Kennebec Pass was covered in snow. (No cool detours that I know of. I guess you could just ride Hermosa Creek into Durango...)

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Expect further snow issues between Monarch Pass and North Pass. Can be avoided by riding Hwy50 -> Gunnison -> North Pass. Check with Absolute Bikes in Salida to get detailed info on what's open north and south of Monarch on the CT.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just going for it and see what I find. I've got three weeks off work, so it shoudl work out fine no matter what. I thought starting in July might avoid these issues...Here's hoping...
Mike

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
From my Backpacking forum

From somebody trying to thru hike and had to abort at 10 days yesterday.

"OK, Ya'll can say I told you so.
Copper Mountain is about as far as you can get on the CT right now.
The trail beyond that point is under about 7+ feet of snow.
It was fun though!

Paul "

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Am I crazy to think that 3 1/2 - 4 weeks of summer weather might make a BIG difference in this?
No ...not crazy at all...but 75% of 7 feet is still not gonna help you much...me thinks.

Enjoy the ride though, take some pics and post 'em up!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
There isn't 7 feet of snow up Guller Creek. I tried to hike up there last week and the first couple miles past Copper where fine. Started to run into snow a little before where the winter trail to janets Cabin diverges from the CT and turned back. I'm guessing that if this weather pattern holds, you'll be able to ride to the top of Searle in 2- 3 weeks. There might be some drift busting and mud walking above treeline, but for the most part it will most likely be ridable.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I rode the CT from HWY 9 in Breckenridge east towards Georgia Pass this past Sunday. The route there was good for the most part until about 10,300 ft. Then you got into snow drifts every 30 yards. It was a lot of on-off the bike for about 20 minutes before the descent to Tiger Run Rd.

Then, on the way up to Georgia Pass, the trail got super muddy. The run off from the melting snow high above, turned the CT into a water channel. I did not continue, due to potential trail damage...and the fact it was more hiking than biking.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Cool. I think, going by memory here, that some of the areas being talked about are Wilderness with the big "W" so I'll be detouring those anyway.
Nope. The sections mentioned above are not in "Wilderness"...

Another section you might have to contend with snow is Hope Pass south of Twin Lakes. It's high and the Sawatch has a $hitload of snow.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Nope. The sections mentioned above are not in "Wilderness"...

Another section you might have to contend with snow is Hope Pass south of Twin Lakes. It's high and the Sawatch has a $hitload of snow.
I was referring to the "7 foot deep" after Copper, not everything else.
Thanks for the help though.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.