Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stefan G, Krein, mikesee, others with knowledge...
In the course layout on the race flyer, I noticed the "race" is following both the recommended detours for TenMile range and Coney Summitt...are you doing this for speed or because those sections aren't fun? The guidebook makes it sound like the detours are recommended due to difficult trail/climbing- I find a certain pleasure in pushing my bike, so I was planning on doing these sections on a "fast tour" later this year.
So, what is it...speed or crappy trail?
Thanks for any info,
Mike

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Mike Brown said:
So, what is it...speed or crappy trail?
Thanks for any info,
Mike
Yes and Yes.

Mainly, we decided that the race would be more fun and doable if it was more rideable. There are still plenty of "pleasurable" hike-a-bike sections that we will be covering.

Another consideration was T-storms, especially on the Coney Summit section which is very committing. If you had to bail from there during a storm, it would really suck to get back to where you bailed from in order to finish the race.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I guess I'll play it by ear, see how I feel/it looks when I get there. Part of it is the principle of wanting to stay on "the trail" as much as possible...but that might just be silly talk.

Mike

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Thanks. I guess I'll play it by ear, see how I feel/it looks when I get there. Part of it is the principle of wanting to stay on "the trail" as much as possible...but that might just be silly talk.

Mike
Not silly talk! Believe me, I completely understand the principle of wanting to stay "on the trail" as much as possible! :) For the race, we have to choose a course and stick with it, but if I were touring it, I'd probably plan for those sections, and then just opt out if the weather was nutso or I was running out of time or whatever. For the Tenmile section, probably add 4 hours. For the Coney Summit detour, geez, I dunno, but I would bet on an additional 8-10 hours. Those segments are some sloooow riding compared to Cinnamon Pass. If the weather is good though, it sure is beautiful up there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.