Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a little digger the other day, and when I got home and went over the bike, I noticed that 2 cables where they run past the fork stanchions (DC fork) got pinched against the frame, and the outer black cover cracked. Now, is this time for some electrical tape or time for new cables? The insides of the cables are almost certainly fine since they are metal, but there is like a half and inch where the cover is split. Opinions?

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
skatetokil said:
So I took a little digger the other day, and when I got home and went over the bike, I noticed that 2 cables where they run past the fork stanchions (DC fork) got pinched against the frame, and the outer black cover cracked. Now, is this time for some electrical tape or time for new cables? The insides of the cables are almost certainly fine since they are metal, but there is like a half and inch where the cover is split. Opinions?
Cables are pretty cheap (usually) and should be replaced every year anyway. Use this as an excuse to replace them?
But if they're operating fine and you don't want to replace them, then don't. I'd recommend dis-engaging the cable and try sliding it by hand. Make sure it's sliding freely. Then wrap the cut with electrical tape.
And get some cables on order....

·
i should be working
532 Posts
heres what i go by;

crushed cables = fine, as long as you can deal with the housing compression a bit more. they might not last long because dirt and water can get in.

crushed hydro lines = replace

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.