Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I asked about cruiser frames, specifically about putting brake bosses on them. Well, I seem to have exhausted my options on that front - I made about a dozen calls in the NYC area and only two people were willing to weld brake bosses on a cruiser frame and they each wanted about $100 to do so. Eff that.

And since I've been reading so much about fixed gear rides, I thought, "Hey what about a fixed cruiser for road riding" But since I already have a road-going bike with 26" wheels, I'd like to build something up with 700c road wheels.

Hence my query in the title. Are all cruiser frames/forks built alike and if so, is it possible to squeeze 700c wheels with skinny road tires? Anyone tried this? Seeing as steel cruiser frames can go for silly Monopoly money, I thought I'd explore this option. What a mutant this would turn out to be if it worked!

Anyone?

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Yes it can be done.

All my clunkers are converted to 700c.No, they are not all made alike.Take a look at the dropouts on these bikes.The tandems drops are very typical of most post WW2 cruisers.I filed the slot longer so the wheel is further back in the frame for more clearance.You will most likely run into any clearance issues at the chainstays.Those are Shwalbe Big Apple 2.35 tires shoved in there.The other bike,from the early thirtys, was originaly built around the 28" wheel.It has traditional track fork ends but will only accept a 1.9" tire.You have to consider the fork also.Most older road forks can swallow a good sized 700c tire,are 1", have curved blades are drilled for center or side pull brakes and can be had for a song.Just pick up a frame and start tinkering.
Jeff

Attachments

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nicely done, mate. Certainly encouraging to hear that it can be done. I have visions of 700c wheels with road slicks (not beefy tires like your Schwalbes) shoved into the back of a cruiser with some curvy handlebars upfront, maybe On*One Midges. How wacky would that be.

I need to learn more about cruisers. I need to learn more about their bottom bracket standards or headtube diameters. I called up this one place yesterday and they gave me some funky dimensions for their unfinished cruiser frame. 117.5mm rear spacing? 1.25" headtube diameter? They couldn't even tell me what the bottom bracket shell size was for me to figure out what part I might need there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you need an old cruiser frame to base your project off of, drop me a line. I have around 100 old bikes and frames, and need to do some liquidation. I have Schwinns, Rollfasts, Hawthornes, Columbias, a Dayton or two, some Shelbys, etc...

I'm looking to do some project builds with some of them, but it would be cool for others to go to people who'll give them a new lease on life.

-Dan

·
Registered
545 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
...117.5mm rear spacing...
Don't worry - put a scissor type car jack in there and wind it out until you have the right spacing. Use a couple of blocks of wood to protect the frame. It's called "cold setting".

(Assuming it is a steel frame - don't do it to an alloy frame)

·
Registered
127 Posts
They're right, not all cruisers are the same, especially the old ones. I've been frustrated trying to find a seatpost for my 26er cruiser - nobody makes em that size anymore, and the seat tube is too hefty to clamp a smaller one in it (even after cutting notches). I too want to put 700c fatties in a cruiser, but this one barely has tire clearance for 26er, with a frame support bridge in the way (but it's not a brake or fender boss). On the lookout for a "new" frame...

SDmfG, where are you and how'd you end up with 100 old bikes? It's tough around here (Boulder CO) but then we have an active weekly cruiser ride and generally bike-savvy populace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.