Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after Saturday's BCT work event, on the way home Jeff (aka Monkeybutt) decides it would be a really good idea to ride up the road from Bumblebee to Crown King just for the exercise. Obviously, its not the preferred singletrack, but still a nice hefty climb and good for the legs and lungs. I'm thinking yeah...it could be a fun ride in a evil kind of way...and thinking it's a ride to be planned out sometime in the near future.

He called me at work and tells me he's going...today. And that it wasn't raining, so he should be okay. ha...

He just called me, 6 miles to go to get to Crown King...it's snowing...and cold. :eek:

What the hell possesses you men to do crazy-ass madness like this? I mean, yeah...on a day with sunshine in the winter is nice and I would do it..but during one of the only days out of the year we have winter storm watches? uh...no...and alone? uh no...

Damn, if he wasn't so uber-hawt. Hope I see him at home tonight!

·
Registered
589 Posts
su.ling~ said:
So after Saturday's BCT work event, on the way home Jeff (aka Monkeybutt) decides it would be a really good idea to ride up the road from Bumblebee to Crown King just for the exercise. Obviously, its not the preferred singletrack, but still a nice hefty climb and good for the legs and lungs. I'm thinking yeah...it could be a fun ride in a evil kind of way...and thinking it's a ride to be planned out sometime in the near future.

He called me at work and tells me he's going...today. And that it wasn't raining, so he should be okay. ha...

He just called me, 6 miles to go to get to Crown King...it's snowing...and cold. :eek:

What the hell possesses you men to do crazy-ass madness like this? I mean, yeah...on a day with sunshine in the winter is nice I would do it..but during one of the only days out of the year we have winter storm watches? uh...no...and alone? uh no...

Damn, if he wasn't so uber-hawt. Hope I see him at home tonight!
I'm just glad he didn't call Will to join him.

Yeah they are crazy sometimes..........

Tiff

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
I wanna go ride in the snow! I've got some work to do though, kinda a bummer.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
You call it crazy.

I call it an adventure.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Dammit if I didn't have to work today...I would have gone up there too.

Don't worry...odds are very high that he won't make it halfway up the climb without having to turn around due to blizzard conditions. But it sure would be fun to see just how far you could make it.

Now if Jeff is a real man, when he gets back down he'll throw his bike in the truck and drive back up just to see how far you can go before getting stuck in the snow/mud. Now that would be an adventure -- go up and get stuck in the snow/mud on your bike and then do it all over again in the truck!

Thx...Doug

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's at the top and 1/2 mile from Crown King and says it's beautiful but the snow is starting to accumulate so he's heading down soon.

He's not really crazy...I'm just insanely jealous because he actually has time to go play while I slave away...sigh...

Doug, I can see you two making this a monthly training ride in the future. ;)

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
su.ling~ said:
He's at the top and 1/2 mile from Crown King and says it's beautiful but the snow is starting to accumulate so he's heading down soon.

He's not really crazy...I'm just insanely jealous because he actually has time to go play while I slave away...sigh...

Doug, I can see you two making this a monthly training ride in the future. ;)
I think it's time that Jeff gets a job...

...oh wait...this is a recession and there are no jobs.

Unless Obama's grand plan takes hold and improves the employment picture right away, Jeff might be "gainfully unemployed" for a while. Which, in his point of view, might not be a bad thing.

At least you're still slaving away earning a paycheck. There are millions of unemployed folks who would trade places with you in a heartbeat and let you be a bike bum with your SO. (I don't think you would want that...right??)

And yes, the Crown King ride could become a regular. Especially in February. Who's gonna let a little white fluffy stuff get in the way? I'll simply slap on the 2.5 mudders on Rita and be on my way. :thumbsup:

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
In answer to your first question su ling: Testosterone makes us do crazy things!!! Seriously Crown King is just kind of a cool - literally lately destination! I believe Jeff is also a former dirt bike guy like me and so I relate to wanting to do crazy things if just for the fun of it! You two have a super Holiday!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This ride was a lot of fun! Lot’s of uphill and absolutely beautiful views al the way up. The snow started coming down really hard, my feet were getting numb and my hands were getting cold so I ended turning around just before town.

I also scouted a few jeep roads, which have some wicked climbs up to some old mines. I think we need to do some monster epics out there soon.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It would also be nice to check out the singletrack from town down to lake pleasant that the dirt bikers take. Now that would be a epic AM ride.
Your so crazy, did you have icicles hanging off you chops. There is already 2inches of white stuff at my house.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
AKA Monkeybutt said:
This ride was a lot of fun! Lot's of uphill and absolutely beautiful views al the way up. The snow started coming down really hard, my feet were getting numb and my hands were getting cold so I ended turning around just before town.

I also scouted a few jeep roads, which have some wicked climbs up to some old mines. I think we need to do some monster epics out there soon.
Cool beans!!! Good for you for just up and doing that ride!

When I was a dirt-poor post-doc working at ASU in the 90s and just learning to mtn bike, I'd go wandering thru the Bradshaws on random dirt roads in my old 4Runner until I couldn't negotiate the battered old tracks due to overgrowth or erosion so I'd lock er up and continue on my bike. I'd set up camp for a few days and then meander back into town and my job after exploring. Ahhhhh... the good ol days of minimal responsibility! Of course I mostly did it solo and had no dogs back then for protection. So I know all about silly and wreckless. It's beautiful up there and I've been meaning to go back since I returned to Phx in 2000 but haven't once made it back. tsk tsk.

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Su Ling, since you asked, and I happen to be an 'expert' by birth on this gender identification issue you've raised, here we go. Hold on tightly:

If you are hoping for an answer equating to female logic, please read no further. We all know that male thoughts and actions have no correlation to that misnomer, female logic. If however you TRULY want to know:

A certain male attachment (commonly known has Mr. Happy and the Boyz) needs constant attention and reinforcement. Most of this can be psychological, perhaps in the form from a female form, such as "oh wow, you are looking so GODDAM hot today. I love the way you walk when you get out of the shower".

Many times, however, just driving down the highway and chatting with a female form will NOT fulfill that need, unless of course the communication between the male and female happens to be of non-verbal nature. I digress, sorry. Back to the subject at hand, so to speak. Anyway, because Jeff was left to fend for himself and act as 'The Common Male' he needed to come up with something ridiculously absurd that would titillate your senses (is there such a word as breastillate, I wonder?) and the only thing close would be to come up with some really asinine and illogical mountain bike ride that would make complete sense to us males out here, and pretty much NO sense to those of the female form. Hence, he came up with the 'ride'.

Normally (assuming that is a realistic assignment of value for men) just the thought of this absurdity would be enough to move rivers of testosterone forward into a literal flood of maleness, causing one of those four hour events they warn about on television. Jeff, however, is not within the ranges assigned as 'normal' - I think we can all agreed on that after having ridden with him. Thus said, he needed further manifestation of these psychological and emotional urges for relief.

He won't tell you this, but this very morning he woke with the idea in mind that he could, and would, play out this 'spurt' of action and leave his fate to the weather gods, and those wild animals who might have attacked him had they been very, very hungry - and not been sane at the time.

So, Su Ling, you can see there really is logic involved.

I can only hope he keeps me in mind for future rides like this, knowing I will be sweep......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.