Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm building a Giant VT, and wondering if anyone has any experience or input on these two wheels:
Cane Creek Terros for $209 ($20 shipping)
or
Mavic Crossrides for $179 (I think $15 shipping?)

They both weigh roughly the same, but from what I've read, the Terros' seem to be tougher.
THe Cane Creek is a bigger discount, though.
Anyone?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Go with Cane Creek

I recently purchased a pair of Cane Creek Terros Disc wheels. I recommend them over the Crossrides for the following reasons:

They are heavier...but that can be seen as an attribute. These wheels will last. They are stiff in the corners and at speed.

They roll very "lightly" while still being burly. I think this is because the mass is at the hub, and not at the rim.

Each set is built by hand and signed for...you'll get a little tag with the builder's name on it.

Customer service is great with Cane Creek...I've not heard the same for Mavic.

Crossrides have always seem kinda "plasticy" to me. They feel cheap when compared to the Cane Creek wheels. The Terros' hubs are butter smooth, and the machining is very clean.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had my Terros Disk's for a couple months now, and I've been very happy with them. I pretty much echo Badger's sentiments about the Crane Creek wheels. It's just a novelty thing really, but I like how Cane Creek tells you when, where (North Carolina *surprise!*), and when they are made, sort of makes me feel like they aren't just pumping out wheel after wheel, even though they might be.

Only downside to the CC's comes from the stiffness. Since they are stiff I found that I needed to run a lower pressure, otherwise my ride felt a littler harsher than usual. I would still rate them pretty high as this is just a minor inconvenience to me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
CaneCreeks

Have been using a set terros discs for several months on a VT and have found them to be a great all around wheelset.

Here are a few items of note:

1. The quick releases that came with the wheels would not keep tight- had a loose front skewer a couple of times- At the start of the ride it is tight and about 1.5 miles later the front wheel is moving in the dropouts. Now I have been riding and using quick release wheels for over 25 years and have NEVER had one go loose. I solved the problem by using a set of Shimano skewers and have not had a loose wheel since.

2. The freehub is aluminum which requires using a cassette with an aluminum carrier (XT or greater) to avoid chewing up the freehub body and/or getting a cassette stuck on the freehub body.

Other than the poor performing skewer I have not had a single issue with the wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.