Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and hoping to participate more actively in the months to come. I'm here to answer questions and be as helpful as possible, without dumping marketing BS where it doesn't belong.

If in the future you (or anyone) has specific questions, please feel free to PM. Probably the best way to get ahold of me.

The answer to this particular inquiry is YES. All 2012 Mavic Crossmax series (SLR, ST, SX) wheels come with the adapters needed to run 9x135, 12x135, and 12x142 rear axle fitment.

Up front, it varies by wheel. SLR comes with standard QR and 15QR fitment. ST comes with 15QR fitment. SX comes with 15QR and 20x110 thru axle fitment.

·
Registered
764 Posts
zack, good to have you here! on a somewhat related note, does Mavic have any plans to offer an "821" or similar UST rim that fits between the 819 and 823 in terms of width and weight in the near future? any plans to update the 819 and 823 (make them wider and/or lighter)? last, could someone order 32 hole Deemax Ultimate rims and build up a custom wheelset with off the shelf spokes and hubs or does the rim require Mavic spokes or other proprietary parts?

Thanks in advance for any info!

G

·
Hi,
so sorry I'm way late getting back to you on this. I am only just learning how to keep track of the different threads and stay on top of them.

1) no plans that I know about regarding updating (widening, lightening) any of the rims. For the moment, the products guys have their hands full keeping the wheel systems line progressing. But many of us in the US scene are clamoring for attention to updating the rims. Keep your fingers crossed.

2) DeeMax Ultimate rim. I see no reason why you could not buy a replacement rim and build it in to whatever setup you want. You just have to find a shop that will cooperate and order the rim for you.

G

·
Hey guys, wow, thanks for all the questions.

sorry to say, the answers won't satisfy.

1) 2010 Crossmax SX uses a dedicated 20mm front axle. It won't convert to 15QR or 9mm quick release.

Again, that was the big deal with the 2012 wheels - achieving easy, 3-way adaptability/compatibility on the front AND rear of the SX and ST wheels. I think when the 2010 wheels were designed (which would have been in 08), the thinking was simply that big hit riders always want 20mm thru. Now of course, versatility is key.

2) Taking a Lefty Crossmax ST 2010 and building a new hub into the hoop so it's 15QR compatible?

Well I am sure it's possible ... I guess you could have a Mavic shop call the MSC and try to order a hub. Or, check ebay/craigslist/etc for people that have wrecked their rims and are selling hubs alone.

The thing is, Mavic is really adament that each part in the system contributes to the whole. The right hub, with the right spokes, with the right lacing/pattern/count, the right rim. All engineered and tested for optimal strength, weight, stiffness, longevity. So Mavic isn't keen on supporting mix and match with proprietary components.

I know everyone's about custom building and designing their own wheels, which is really cool. But it just doesn't work well in the Mavic world. Each different wheel is built and tested to work right, just the way it comes. Building in a different hub would probably work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm rebuilding my ETSX I bought 4 years ago. I've been looking at different wheel sets...shimano, crank bros iodines; then my buddy at the local bike shop recommended the mavic crossmax sx. I've been reading some of the reviews on here concerning the mavic wheels but there is nothing new after May 2011 and anything before was either the wheel failed after approx. 3 months or it got great reviews. Can anyone who have the wheels currently give some advice and what improvements were made for the 2012 line of crossmax sx?

·
Aging Is a Gift
1 Posts
I'm an aging roadie and realtively new to more technical MTB riding and really becoming addicted to dirt and single track... :D

Looking to build or buy new wheels for coming season. researching components and reviews; the mavic 2012 Crossmax line look very favorable; considering the Crossmax ST; looking for comments, experience with durability?
I like the idea of a wheelset in this weight range but durablity is more important; not sure if SX would be better choice all around.

Weigh about 190; would be run on a hardtail, riding fast, mid-west single track, roots, rocks, occasional smallish drops, Appreciate people's thoughts.

G

·
Maybe the plastic bag that is supposed to come with the wheels is missing. 12x142mm rear axle adapters are packaged with every pair of Crossmax SX that ships. They're in a plastic bag with instruction manual, hub adjust tool, spoke nipple tool, etc. They are silver (pewter) in color and thread on the rear axle (once you've removed the 9x135 axle ends). Cone wrenches are all that's required.

G

·
shoot me a private message I will find a way to get you squared away. sounds like the package with adapters was unintentionally removed from your package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello,

it is the drama, protection between the cassette and the mavic this block on the rear wheel, I disassembled and I realize that a room in a circle radius blocking and setting the black protective tape between the wheel and and the radius is bent and broken (see photo)

I removed the pieces and reassembled 2x rear wheel, all rolled great ! The question is what is serious doctor? How to retrieve the two pieces? I guess this piece is a security if it unlock radius or something like that?

How do I get the 2 pieces back to my rear wheel as the source even if it works without?

and the piece in good condition:

Thank you.

+ +

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.