Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
I'm looking for a 2nd wheelset - specifically for racing. I've narrowed it down to the Crossmax SLR (because they're proven and allow for a higher psi with tube for road riding) or Stan's Crest w/ZTR or AC hubs (because they'll weigh 60-110 grams less than the SLRs). I'm leaning towards the SLRs, but feel free to convince me otherwise.

FYI I currently ride Stan's ZTR355 with CK hubs that weigh 1568 grams.

Please help me choose. Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you checked out Industry Nine wheels? I have a set of those and love them. They use Stan's rims. I run getto tubless and it seems Stan's is the way to go if that is what you plan on doing.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you get the crest on AC hubs then you will be 200g lighter than CrossMAX, minimum (i'm assuming you'll go with revolution spokes given its race-only). SLR's are about the 1560g mark for the 6-bolt versions.

A lot of people are happy with their SLR's, and for them that's fine....a wheel of that weight should be bombproof for XC racing. Its when they have problems that the ugly truth surfaces.

- proprietory spokes, that cost AUD$25 each (don't know any other local prices)
- damage a rim......you have to use their labour and parts to rebuild - $400AUD for 1 wheel
- freehub issues......has a bushing which wears or wears the hub. Use light oil to lube and have to sevice every 4-8 weeks....use heavier oil and the freehub will turn the pedals as you push the bike forwards (free braking on any descent! Save your hydro pads some work:D )
- The only wheelset that needs ceramic bearings to roll well
-Thin rim which doesn't stabilise wider than 2.1 tyres well.

As you can probably tell, I'm over Mavic's

I use stans rims almost exclusively now....with standard spokes and nipples. I've had just as much luck/ease running UST tyres as tubless (using the yellow tape only) as any UST wheelset I've had. I've even mounted tyres with a trackpump with immediate success.

The downsides of Stans rims

- no eyelets.....you need a good wheelbuilder to ensure your wheel is going to survive.
- softer sidewalls - they dent more easily, but this is the case with ALL superlight rims. The trick is to use 2.25 tyres so there is more air cushion (these roll faster too)
- some tyres don't have a good relationship with latex sealants, and you need this stuff to complete the tubeless setup

good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nathanbal - yes, I'll be running standard (non-UST) tires

herothedog - no interest in I9s

AlexRandall - Excellent point regarding when things go wrong

well, I'm still on the fence...please share your thoughts...thanks

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
wolverine14 said:
herothedog - no interest in I9s
That's funny, since you're interested in using Stans ZTR 355's? You do realize that a set of I9 Ultralite's uses that same Stans rim, but with a much better hub and a better overall build? A set of I9's is just a set of Stans built much better, much stronger, lighter and with great customer service.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
AlexRandall said:
If you get the crest on AC hubs then you will be 200g lighter than CrossMAX, minimum (i'm assuming you'll go with revolution spokes given its race-only). SLR's are about the 1560g mark for the 6-bolt versions.

A lot of people are happy with their SLR's, and for them that's fine....a wheel of that weight should be bombproof for XC racing. Its when they have problems that the ugly truth surfaces.

- proprietory spokes, that cost AUD$25 each (don't know any other local prices)
- damage a rim......you have to use their labour and parts to rebuild - $400AUD for 1 wheel
- freehub issues......has a bushing which wears or wears the hub. Use light oil to lube and have to sevice every 4-8 weeks....use heavier oil and the freehub will turn the pedals as you push the bike forwards (free braking on any descent! Save your hydro pads some work:D )
- The only wheelset that needs ceramic bearings to roll well
-Thin rim which doesn't stabilise wider than 2.1 tyres well.

As you can probably tell, I'm over Mavic's

I use stans rims almost exclusively now....with standard spokes and nipples. I've had just as much luck/ease running UST tyres as tubless (using the yellow tape only) as any UST wheelset I've had. I've even mounted tyres with a trackpump with immediate success.

The downsides of Stans rims

- no eyelets.....you need a good wheelbuilder to ensure your wheel is going to survive.
- softer sidewalls - they dent more easily, but this is the case with ALL superlight rims. The trick is to use 2.25 tyres so there is more air cushion (these roll faster too)
- some tyres don't have a good relationship with latex sealants, and you need this stuff to complete the tubeless setup

good luck!
he already said it all right here - i have both wheels - NoTubes are WAY better in every way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pizza - I was not into I9s because I didn't do the research, but I've looked and like the idea. The clear difference is the Stan's wheelset is in fact lighter. The strength and customer service may be correct.

ok, so I'm off the Crossmax SLRs, BUT now it's a hub comparison between I9s, ACs, and Stan's ZTRs...

Thanks all for the input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.