Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new light XC disc wheelset. Do lots of climbing living in Rockies. I weigh 155. I know these are the "namebrands" but also open for others I may not know about. Any suggestions very appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
The DT's are the better of thise two. I'd suggest DT 240 hubs, Stan's Olympic ZTR rims, and, if you have lots of cash to spend, Sapim X-Ray spokes. I want a pair......
Damm if you are going to spend that kind of money why not just go Chris Kings with DT Revo's and Stans 355.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ratt said:
Damm if you are going to spend that kind of money why not just go Chris Kings with DT Revo's and Stans 355.
Because it cost more, be heavier and not be as solid feeling?

The cost of CK hubs is ~65% more than DT 240s.

My build (compared to the above) would be 240s hubs (lighter, cost less), Velocity VXC rims (tough, stiffer, reasonably light, cost less), CX-Ray spokes (builds a more solid wheel, same weight, costs more) with alloy nips.
Overall weight would be ~66g less, it would be a stiffer/stronger wheelset, and cost ~30% less than a CK/Stans/Revo wheelset. "My" whole wheelset would cost just a few dollars more than the CK hubs alone, and that is with spokes that are more than twice the price of Revos.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
shiggy said:
Because it cost more, be heavier and not be as solid feeling?

The cost of CK hubs is ~65% more than DT 240s.

My build (compared to the above) would be 240s hubs (lighter, cost less), Velocity VXC rims (tough, stiffer, reasonably light, cost less), CX-Ray spokes (builds a more solid wheel, same weight, costs more) with alloy nips.
Overall weight would be ~66g less, it would be a stiffer/stronger wheelset, and cost ~30% less than a CK/Stans/Revo wheelset. "My" whole wheelset would cost just a few dollars more than the CK hubs alone, and that is with spokes that are more than twice the price of Revos.
Ya I get what you mean, if I was to build new wheels it would probably be either DT 240s or Hope XCs (if weight doesn't matter) and $35 317/717s or VXCs.

But King hubs and Stan Olympic seem to be the latest greatest Bling right now in that Crossmax SL price range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
shiggy said:
After hunting around on MTBR, I decided to go with the DT Swiss 240s/ Velocity VXC/ Sapim XRay wheel build as it seemed each of the components get high marks on the 'boards (except I went with brass nips). Thanks for the set-up tip Shiggy. They were a great upgrade from the stock wheels on my Stumpjumper FSR.

I also decided to try out the Galfer wave rotors and brake pads with my Juicy 7 set-up. They seem to be a slight upgrade from the Avid rotor set-up, especially in wet conditions.

FWIW, I had them built at Universal Cycles in Portland, OR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts