Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Crossmax SLR set of wheels, both are for center line discs. The front came stock with a 15mm axle and a pair of adaptors to insert in the 15mm axle ends to use a quick release fork.
The front came with a Shimano CL disc and the Shimano CL lock nut that has internal splines. The outside diameter of the axle is too large for a locknut tool to fit over it.:madman: :madman: I've looked all over and the only solution I found was that Mavic makes a Center Lock Adapter (to convert from CL to 6-bolt discs). The Mavic lock nut has outside/external splines that are used to tighten the lock nut. (Unlike the Shimano lock nut that has internal splines).
I have couple of questions:
A. How does one thighten/loosen the Shimno internally splined locknut?
B. Is there a tool for this (its' sidewall would have to be like about .003 thick)? I've tried to use several cassette nut tools and the walls are too thick to fit between the axle and the lock nut. I did pull the adapter out from inside the axle but that made no difference as the adapter goes INSIDE the axle, so when you take it out the axle is still there in the way.
C. Is the Mavic externally splined nut the answer when on uses Shimano CL discs on the front wheel??
D. How was the internally splined Shimano CL nut tightened? :confused: Did someone take the axle off and then tighten the nut and re-insert the axle??
E.Does Mavic make a 9mm axle to replace the 15mm axle? I looked all over their website and didn't see anything like that.
F.. Help please???

Thanks to anyone/all out there!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved It!!

Got it solved.............found great ingo @ www.tech-mavic.com.
It shows a blowup and pictures info how to take the hubs apart. The front hub has a 15mm collar that slides off the the front axles. When it is in place it wont let your cassette lock-nut tool slide onto the locknut to remove it and get inside the hub. :nono: :madman:
Fixed it!! Thanks to all who sent me some info and the kind gentleman in Russia that sent me links to get to the Mavic Tech info!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guess, the BB tool is waaay too big. I was hopeful the pics showed my dilema, the info I got from the tech-mavic site, thank goodness for pictures and explanations in tech manuals, theirs was difficult to find online though..........
Since I didn't know the top collar just slipped over the axle, made it very confusing.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.