Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 05 Turner Flux that I plan to use 90% of the time for XC riding and 10% of the time for XC racing (fun, non-competitive races - poker rides, local charity events, Sea Otter, etc.). I am 6' tall and weigh about 195# in riding gear. The bike came pretty well setup, but I am making some changes to best suit my riding style.

The bike came with DT Swiss 4.1d wheels laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs (centerlock) with what I am assuming are DT Swiss spokes. I don't ride tubless... someday I may switch, but I am in no rush. I am running Avid mechanical disk brakes (I think the BB5's) via Shimano XT centerlock rotors. My LBS said running a Shimano rotor with the Avid brakes was not a problem. I like the mechanicals a lot more than I thought I would, but I will probably switch to a light hydraullic setup eventually (any ideas?).

OK, now the delima... do I stick with the current setup, or do I mount the set of 2006 Mavic Crossmax SLs (6 bolt) that I have sitting in my closet? They probably have less than 150 miles on them and are in perfect condition.I think the Mavic's might be slightly heavier, but could they be a faster XC setup due to greater stiffness, resulting in less rolling resistance?

The DT Swiss 240s seem to be very nice hubs and mine seem to be in very good shape. The DT Swiss rims that are attached are true and also appear to be in good shape and true, but they are nicked up in places and probably have at least 250 miles on them.

I prefer fast, nimble XC bikes if that helps with anyone's advice.

Hawk

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I would sell the Mavics and use the 240s...

The shimano rotors have a narrow braking path for the avids....they might wear the pad unevenly and then give you problems (you can get centerlock to IS adapters to use any other rotor... DT makes some nice ones) DT also sells a tubeless kit for those rims for when you want to try tubeless....

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Dt

JMO, but at your weight, if you're pretty strong, you're asking for troubles to chase around with the Mavic freehub.

Personally, I've ridden neither, but local guys have trouble with the Mavic freehubs (curiously, NOT with the previous generation), and nothing but good results with the DT rear hubs.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I'd definately go DT Swiss

HBhawk said:
I recently bought an 05 Turner Flux that I plan to use 90% of the time for XC riding and 10% of the time for XC racing (fun, non-competitive races - poker rides, local charity events, Sea Otter, etc.). I am 6' tall and weigh about 195# in riding gear. The bike came pretty well setup, but I am making some changes to best suit my riding style.

The bike came with DT Swiss 4.1d wheels laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs (centerlock) with what I am assuming are DT Swiss spokes. I don't ride tubless... someday I may switch, but I am in no rush. I am running Avid mechanical disk brakes (I think the BB5's) via Shimano XT centerlock rotors. My LBS said running a Shimano rotor with the Avid brakes was not a problem. I like the mechanicals a lot more than I thought I would, but I will probably switch to a light hydraullic setup eventually (any ideas?).

OK, now the delima... do I stick with the current setup, or do I mount the set of 2006 Mavic Crossmax SLs (6 bolt) that I have sitting in my closet? They probably have less than 150 miles on them and are in perfect condition.I think the Mavic's might be slightly heavier, but could they be a faster XC setup due to greater stiffness, resulting in less rolling resistance?

The DT Swiss 240s seem to be very nice hubs and mine seem to be in very good shape. The DT Swiss rims that are attached are true and also appear to be in good shape and true, but they are nicked up in places and probably have at least 250 miles on them.

I prefer fast, nimble XC bikes if that helps with anyone's advice.

Hawk
I've been riding a rear DT Swiss hub for years. I busted the original Hayes Superlight after 4 years of beating that puppy like a red headed step child. They replaced it with a brand new 240 that I have been flogging now for almost a year. Love the quiet, yet easily serviced DT hub. Very light and tough. Great hub. My buddy just blew up his Mavic rear freehub.

Jaybo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I going to stick with the DT Swiss wheelset for now. After riding them a few times, they are starting to grow on me. I only wish they were 6 bolt, rather than centerlock.

Do 240s come in both, or just centerlock? I don't want to run an adapter and I want to eventually install a light set of brakes (i.e. Marta SL). Or maybe Magura makes a centerlock rotor.

Hawk

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
HBhawk said:
I think I going to stick with the DT Swiss wheelset for now. After riding them a few times, they are starting to grow on me. I only wish they were 6 bolt, rather than centerlock.

Do 240s come in both, or just centerlock? I don't want to run an adapter and I want to eventually install a light set of brakes (i.e. Marta SL). Or maybe Magura makes a centerlock rotor.

Hawk
The 240s are available in IS too... Magura does make a centerlock rotor, but it's Ventidisc, which is actually heavier..... I would recommend you use the DT adapter, which is the lightest of the bunch... that's what DT does in their own branded wheelsets (centerlock hub + adapters)

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
glad ya went for the dt's. their adaptior is indeed the shiz but stupid expencive. the problem solvers adaptor its a bit of a brick but less than half the cost and works well. id also grap a pair of avid polygon rotors if ya can. this is the setup i used on my flux with xtr cl hubs.

magura martas might be the way to go when its hydro time. formula also does nice work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.