Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a new set for $439 plus a few bucks for shipping. These are the silver ones. They say they are right under 1500 grams. I'm no wheel expert, but is that a decent weight for a XC wheelset? I am running the original black CrossMax wheels from WAAYY back when they first came out. I'm curious as to you guys' thoughts on them. I'm sure Stans and DT and all the others are better or lighter, but I have a harder time finding those. Considering these wheels were around $900 new, seems like a fair deal. Thoughts?

·
I wanna go fast!
506 Posts
I would say that for that price, I would probably go for them. I have a 1400g disc wheelset that cost significantly more than that :). CrossMax SL will be a pretty solid wheel...only downside is proprietary spoke/hub/rim. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never bent or tweaked a wheel in 16 years of XC racing! My current Crossmax are from 1999 or 2000, and still look like new. I just want a new set of wheels, and have a wine taste with a beer budget, so $900 on a wheelset just isn't going to happen...but $439 from a real Mavic dealer with warranty, NIB, seems cool. Maybe I'll go for it.

Thanks.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Those are at about 1470g, I think. I've not seen them that low before. I'd snap 'em up.:thumbsup:

·
I wanna go fast!
506 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
I have never bent or tweaked a wheel in 16 years of XC racing! My current Crossmax are from 1999 or 2000, and still look like new. I just want a new set of wheels, and have a wine taste with a beer budget, so $900 on a wheelset just isn't going to happen...but $439 from a real Mavic dealer with warranty, NIB, seems cool. Maybe I'll go for it.

Thanks.
Yeah dude, I'd totally go for it, especially since it's from a Mavic dealer. I'd also see about getting the MP3 protection just in case...it's not that much more, and if you're going to be racing these wheels it's cheap insurance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just learned I can get another 20% off on top of it! We are talking $350.00 for the set! I think I'll grab them.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grabbed them, came to $352.00 for the set. Nice.

Now, I was planning on still using my regular tires and LunarLight tubes...I'm scared of tubeless tires. I thought all tubeless wheels/tires used a goop. I did some readin' and maybe I"m wrong? Do real UST wheels/tires use no goop? Just a regular air pump? Can someone who is a bit more "modern" than me clue me in - in layman's terms...

Also, since my tubes weight 100 grams now, and tires under 500, that means I'd have to find a 600 gram or lighter UST tire to at least not gain any weight. Do these tires exist? It seems to me most UST tires in 2.0 size or whatever are much heavier. Suggestions?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
Grabbed them, came to $352.00 for the set. Nice.

Now, I was planning on still using my regular tires and LunarLight tubes...I'm scared of tubeless tires. I thought all tubeless wheels/tires used a goop. I did some readin' and maybe I"m wrong? Do real UST wheels/tires use no goop? Just a regular air pump? Can someone who is a bit more "modern" than me clue me in - in layman's terms...

Also, since my tubes weight 100 grams now, and tires under 500, that means I'd have to find a 600 gram or lighter UST tire to at least not gain any weight. Do these tires exist? It seems to me most UST tires in 2.0 size or whatever are much heavier. Suggestions?
Remember that one of the big benefits of tubeless is the lower pressures you can run not just weight loss. Weight loss is pretty minimal. I would say that 600g for a real UST tire is pretty optimistic. Even with UST tires it is commonly a good idea to run some goop to insure against flats so then that direction gains even more weight over non-UST. Just get some Stans and air up with some low weight tubeless tires that work well with Stans. This is not hard to do. You will get the hang of it. Ask here for questions. Take a look at notubes.com for some tips on how to proceed. BTW, you can make your own goop easily and don't need to rely on Stans.

·
elbow gloves
221 Posts
you also do not need to rely on tubeless tires. I have been running a stans setup for years and never a tubless specific tire. Only in the case of a giant sidewall tear (which would muck up any tire period) have I been forced to put in a tube. As Axis mentioned, the real gains are in the lower pressure you can run and the resultant velcro like traction. Some sort of sealant is necessary in non tubeless tires but additionally offers some flat protection from glass, thorns, and cactus. I have never tried a homebrew sealant but know they exist. Stans goo seems to work great for me.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Non-disc I think, I didn't check for disc versions. Bike Nashbar. To get 20% off, I had to buy 5 things, so I found some cool Tioga 1.8 tires and tubes that I'll use this winter in my cyclocross races...$8.00 per tire! That added about $22 to my $350. But, I noticed today that I got a coupon code in my email for 20% off any order, so there you go. The front wheel was $139, back $299, plus the 20% off. They are the 2006 models, silver ones. Still, a $900 wheelset for under $400 does seem like a deal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have these exact wheels and run them tubeless with non-UST Kenda Karmas and Stans. I've found the wheels to be reliable, though the freehub needs frequent service (~20 minute process). The weight savings over using tubes with the same tire is probably minimal, but, as others have pointed out, the lower pressures and puncture resistance are worth it IMHO. There is a substantial weight penalty for using UST (+200g/tire).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.