Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front hub has some lateral play when the wheel is in the drop outs. I tightened the bearing adjustment as tight as possible, and the play is still there. Anyone have any ideas? I despise any play in anything, and it makes my rotor rub like a sum*****.

thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan Gerous said:
Are they old?

And by the way: don't overtighten the bearings, it will damage them... it could very be your problem right now.
3rd season on them, and I tightened them alot, but I broke off a couple of the plastic pegs on that Mavic hub tool, so that should prevent them from overtightening.

Is it me or do these $$$$ wheels kinda suck?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
homerjay said:
3rd season on them, and I tightened them alot, but I broke off a couple of the plastic pegs on that Mavic hub tool, so that should prevent them from overtightening.

Just get new bearings and dont torque the bearings that much. If you broke a couple of the plastic tool, I'm pretty sure you put them way too tight and that the bearings are dead.

Once you put new bearings in, tighten them until you feel some resistence (that doesn't take much torque, and you'll still be far from the point where the tool breaks) and back out a quarter of a turn. That will save the bearings, make the wheel spin perfectly and there should be no play.

It's not a good thing to overtighten a bearing, any bearing so it's not a problem specific to these wheels. Same thing goes for headsets or any bearing that has a preload adjustment. These wheels suck when you don't take good care of them... but they are great if you do.

·
Premium Member
48,161 Posts
homerjay said:

Three years is a great life span for bearings.

I do prefer "custom" wheels with standard parts to "System" wheels, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.