Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,209 Posts
Still a bit heavy but still the blingiest. I wonder if they tweaked the rim bead channel to work better with standard tires 'n Stans? I bet you could save 50g by tearing off all the stickers!...Jeez.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Getting those stickers off would be a pretty good effort given they are "laser etched on" according to the article on singeltrack.

It will be interesting to see what the prices come in at for both the 2007 XTR wheels and the standard Crossmax SL given they are apparently the same weight.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
If mavic hits the weight on these....

these will be THE wheelset to have. a sub 1450g UST wheelset? :D :eek:!!
No more rimstrips with valves to fail or sticky tape coming loose. Better sealing with UST rims with UST or latex.

At Sub 1450g and using sub 700g UST tires, you will have a really nice set that you can acutally RACE with almost no failures!

I am hoping the disc version will be under or @ 1500g.

Only thing is if the mavic hubs have improved. If they can improve even just slighty, the wheels will be sweetest yet!

Only downside is the price. if they are $800 they can so stick them where the sun does not shine....

·
Trail rider and racer
4,675 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
On weight weenies forums (MTB one) the disk wheelset is said to have a claimed weight at 1520g.

Again until they are released I remain skeptical - I always think of Crossmax as being heavy and too expensive.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,209 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
these will be THE wheelset to have. a sub 1450g UST wheelset? :D :eek:!!
No more rimstrips with valves to fail or sticky tape coming loose. Better sealing with UST rims with UST or latex.

At Sub 1450g and using sub 700g UST tires, you will have a really nice set that you can acutally RACE with almost no failures!

Only thing is if the mavic hubs have improved. If they can improve even just slighty, the wheels will be sweetest yet!

Only downside is the price. if they are $800 they can so stick them where the sun does not shine....
A ZTR setup will still win hands down in the weight category. With ZTRs and any lightish hub yer lookin at a 1/4lb right there. Add another 200g savings for a standard tire over a UST and you have some serious weight advantages going non-CrossMax. Could be a good training wheelset if the price is right.....you know that aint happenin': based on Mavic's pricing hx I'd expect these to go for around 800.00 in the first six months of release and then maybe 700.00 three years later.:rolleyes: But hey, maybe they pay their workers a living wage in France. I'd take a look at 'em if'n they came out with a 29er wheelset, though @ that weight.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Sure weight is better but NOT reliabality with the ZTR. First off is QC with the ZTR is nowhere even CLOSE to Mavic! UST is a better sealing system on the rim vs tape with ZTR or even rimstrips.

Mavic UST rims are stronger and more realiable than the ZTR.

I would give up 155-200g for a 1500g UST based wheels anyday.

Now if you are a pro-racer with a HUGE budget and NoTubes is giving you rims, then fine.

Until NoTubes' rims QC is on par with DT/Mavic or even Bontrager, no thanks!

I get soo many e-mails about complaints with these rims. Even thought I am not a dealer. Why? I have no idea....

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Dirt Boy: the best news about the Mavic wheels for 2007 is that the freehub has indeed been improved.

They first had FTS hubs, then they introduced the FTS-L (what we know now) and these will sport the new FTS-X freehubs that are supposedly more reliable, longer lasting. To what extent, I don't know but the freehubs were Mavic's Achille's heel so I can't wait for more technical informations about this new freehub design. If I could go a full season without relubing the freehub without being worried that it will choke to death on the trail, I'd be happy.

I'm also wondering what models will be available for us Lefty riders. We only have the SL option now... I hope the SLR will get a Lefty version... Better yet, I'm wondering if the new freehub can be fitted to my current SL.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,209 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
Because people that weigh 200+ lbs think they can ride a 350 gram rim and then complain when there are problems. You see this mindset alot on the 29'er board. Clydes looking for a sub 500 gram 2.4 meaty knobbed tire (rolleyes).
WORD. The ZTRs are not yer bulletproof trail riding wheelset. They are a fast 'n light setup for racers and people under like 180lbs looking to ride faster on XC terrain. Hell, I destroyed a set of ZTRs last weekend! I went way too fast into a rock garden with the new Crows mounted up on my 29er. My bad. I was stupid. Am I going to bag on Stans for my idiocy? Nope. I promptly odered up a set of new ZTR hoops. Live and learn.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
You probaly ran your tire pressure too low for those ZTR with those Bird tires.
I crak up when they say 160lb riders using 22 psi with ZTR wheels and crow tires.

Hell even in florida with a little speed, you are going to hit a root and dent those priciy rims.

happend to my on a crossmax with 35psi (162lbs) a few years back. Falt spotted a really nice Crossmax SL rim.

Same trail/speed with UST tires @ 32psi and no issues!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you are not very fair with MAVIC

Trevor! said:
Claimed 1410g - I certainly doubt it. But it will be interesting to see.

They look alright - Custom wheels would still be better.
Trevor,
I've used, had and knowed dozen of people with all the CROSSMAX since 1996.
They are good and very solid/reliable. The best wheelset for big guys, rigid and strong.
Technologically speaking, they've got it all and they were the very tubeless MTB wheelset that worked. look at their technology:
tubeless/ ceramic braking surface/ alu spokes....
They've got it all and they are a reference.
current model at 1500 gr, pretty good for what it offers.
2007 at 1400 gr with carbon hubset, very possible indeed.
Didier

·
SUBLIM8er
2,209 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
You probaly ran your tire pressure too low for those ZTR with those Bird tires.
I crak up when they say 160lb riders using 22 psi with ZTR wheels and crow tires.

Hell even in florida with a little speed, you are going to hit a root and dent those priciy rims.

happend to my on a crossmax with 35psi (162lbs) a few years back. Falt spotted a really nice Crossmax SL rim.

Same trail/speed with UST tires @ 32psi and no issues!!
You r not far from the mark. I started with 20lbs and promptly rolled my front tire off the rim:madman: Aired up to 32lbs. It's no fault of the rims or the tires, actually. The rock that was respionsible for the horror show was a premeditated rim killa. My CrossMaxed woulda been toasted as well. Operator error.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.