Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Crossmark non UST 2.1 120tpi tire shows a durometer of 62. The Crossmark UST 2.1 tire shows a durometer of 62/70 on their website. I know the 70 durometer is the center tread for better wear, but would you be able to tell the difference with grip, etc. between the 62 and 70 durometer along the center tread of the non UST tire and UST tire? With all else being equal. Basically can you tell much of a difference between durometers with speed, grip, etc?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good question, and the answer for me is sort of. I've used quite a few maxxis tires and I can tell the difference between the 60 and 70 durometer for cornering grip, and to a lesser extent rolling speed, but I don't think it's a huge difference. The bigger difference is in the wear rate and the weight, the 62 durometer crossmark is lighter and wears alot faster.

For my last race I used a 62 durometer crossmark up front and a 70 durometer one on the rear (both non-UST). This was a good compromise for me, for grip and light weight on the front, and fast rolling and a decent wear rate on the rear. I couldn't really tell any loss of climbing traction with the 70 Duro on the rear.

I haven't used the 62/70 UST, but it sounds like a the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just one remark, Crossmark non-UST is really one of the easiest tires to get sealed. The sidewalls are already pretty solid. I really don't see any necessity to buy a UST version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts