Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new wheel. Ran CrossRocs, and liked them. Interested in the more durable Crosslands. Anybody ride them. They are UST, yes?

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
skinny-tire said:
In the market for a new wheel. Ran CrossRocs, and liked them. Interested in the more durable Crosslands. Anybody ride them. They are UST, yes?
Not me - XT/Mavic 223 here (I know, not a "trendy" wheelset, but works great for me)

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
skinny-tire said:
tubeless? cost?
Non-tubeless, I think $170 for the set at "that big chain shop in Chandler." I have had them on two FS bikes for three years with minimal issues, other than the occasional broken spoke. In fact, I just had the bike tuned and it turns out I had three rear spokes sheared off from a fall that I didn't know about and the wheel didn't taco despite the fact I rode on it a number of times.

·
MIA
153 Posts
Crosslands

Yes these are a UST rim, with the rim strip installed. This is supplied (pre-installed) with the wheels and works great. I've been on them about 6 months now, and love them. I run Stans, and have used Panaracer Fire XC Pro USTs, as well as Kenda Kinetics UST's. Prior to these I ran 223's with Stans, and kept ripping sidewalls. Since I went UST on these wheels I have not had a flat or any tire problem at all. I am not a liteweight, and these wheels have held up beautifully on South Mountain, Hawes, etc... all over the valley. I have to give them a high rating, as they've been problem free for me.

Brian

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
yes

skinny-tire said:
Yes and yes and yes.
I have the old non-ust on my SS and the new UST on my Kona but I haven't UST'd em yet. Great rims for the buck and you know how I like to bang the [email protected] outta my bike and the rims take it. the pig gave me a decent deal on em

Attachments

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YuriB said:
Yes and yes and yes.
I have the old non-ust on my SS and the new UST on my Kona but I haven't UST'd em yet. Great rims for the buck and you know how I like to bang the [email protected] outta my bike and the rims take it. the pig gave me a decent deal on em
I was hoping you'd chime in. Curiuos how much you got them for? Unfortunately, they are on my **** list--and I think I can get them pretty cheap at a non-LBS for which we do not speak. But if the price is close, I may give them another chance.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
waltaz said:
Non-tubeless, I think $170 for the set at "that big chain shop in Chandler." I have had them on two FS bikes for three years with minimal issues, other than the occasional broken spoke. In fact, I just had the bike tuned and it turns out I had three rear spokes sheared off from a fall that I didn't know about and the wheel didn't taco despite the fact I rode on it a number of times.
Interesting. I'm still a huge fan of tubeless though. I hate changing flats.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
skinny-tire said:
I was hoping you'd chime in. Curiuos how much you got them for? Unfortunately, they are on my **** list--and I think I can get them pretty cheap at a non-LBS for which we do not speak. But if the price is close, I may give them another chance.
yes they alternate on and off that list for me too...
I think I got them for just over 2bills

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
194 Posts
I like 'em

Got set of Crosslands about 2 mos ago. I was on my 4th freehub and getting tired of spending money to rebuild on my old wheelset. I wanted something that was UST and low cost. I wanted 819s laced to XT hubs, but that was going to cost me so I decided to go w/ the Crossland. I love it. No longer do I have to wrestle with Stan's worthless rim strips that crack in the AZ heat (I am also mixing my own Stan's brew at a fraction of the cost and it works just as well). And sealing a tire w/ a real UST rim is MUCH easier than a standard rim, even w/ stretched out standard tires.

Regarding durability - I am a clyde and abuse wheels pretty badly (you may have seen an oversized idiot on SoMo on a yellow Scalpel w/ a Vanilla fork trying to act like someone on a 5" travel bike), but the Crossland is still perfectly true after many rides. And the bearings are still running as smooth as the day I got them.

I say go for it if you are price-sensitive and looking for a UST wheelset. If UST is not important, you can get more bang for your buck w/ something else.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Um, yes

I ride "ah" cross "the" lands all the time . . .

what's your point?

(jeff, see how dumb this stuff comes off, "can I come please", save it for . . . well for something else . . . perhaps "open mic at the improv or something)

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJBiker said:
I ride "ah" cross "the" lands all the time . . .

what's your point?

(jeff, see how dumb this stuff comes off, "can I come please", save it for . . . well for something else . . . perhaps "open mic at the improv or something)
Thanks for putting me in my place Doug. I guess I deserved it.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 months. No problems here - this is my first set of tubeless. They don't feel that much different to me than regular tubed tires. I don't worry about pinch flats but that's worth at least trying them for me. I'm running Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 w/ stan's.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Jeff, are you looking for a complete set of wheels? Why not just get a new rim built up with your existing rear hub?

If you are going for a full set, I would get the 819 or 823 Mavic rims paired with your existing hubs or new LX hubs. What hubs do you have? The 819's are around $70 per rim (rim only).

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dirdir said:
Jeff, are you looking for a complete set of wheels? Why not just get a new rim built up with your existing rear hub?

If you are going for a full set, I would get the 819 or 823 Mavic rims paired with your existing hubs or new LX hubs. What hubs do you have? The 819's are around $70 per rim (rim only).
I'm not sure if that is an option. The CrossRocs have I think 24 spokes or something, so I'd have to get a 24 hole rim. On top of that, my LBS has continually told me the CrossRocs ar not ideal for my fat ass.

It's a moo point anyway. I picked up a rear CrossLand at a LBS for which we are not mentioning for $104. Oh, and I got a hall pass for next Tuesday (god bless Jimmy Buffett), which unfortunately might be the first time I'll be able to try it out.

Thanks everbody else--except Doug--for your input.

P.S. If I save my pennies, I'll be able to get the front wheel....and some disc brakes....

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
skinny-tire said:
I'm not sure if that is an option. The CrossRocs have I think 24 spokes or something, so I'd have to get a 24 hole rim. On top of that, my LBS has continually told me the CrossRocs ar not ideal for my fat ass.

It's a moo point anyway. I picked up a rear CrossLand at a LBS for which we are not mentioning for $104. Oh, and I got a hall pass for next Tuesday (god bless Jimmy Buffett), which unfortunately might be the first time I'll be able to try it out.

Thanks everbody else--except Doug--for your input.

P.S. If I save my pennies, I'll be able to get the front wheel....and some disc brakes....
Ah, I see. The wheel you busted last night was a CrossRoc. I see. I missed that. Sorry.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
I have Crossmax XLs on my 5.5 and they're the sexiest wheels I've ever owned. Stiff, absolutely true, look nice. Expensive, though, and I wouldn't want to have to buy them for retail.

A couple months ago, I built a UST wheelset for my SS -- Mavic 3.1s I got on clearance for $50 apiece laced 3x with 14/15 DTs to my Surly 1x1 hubset, and that's also a very nice UST setup. Cheap, too! A wee bit narrow for anything bigger than, say, the Conti 2.3 Vertical Pros.

p.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.