Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am buying a Cross Check frame finally but am thinking of saving weight here and there... would I be creating Surly bad vibes if I ditched the steel fork and replaced it with the cross specific EC90X from Easton? Would save 500g...

·
Registered
134 Posts
:eek: doesn't the ec90 cost ~ as much as the frame/fork? the axle to crown length is close, 395/400 so there's no real reason not to if you've got one laying around. gotta post pics if you do, that'll look hot. If you're buying both new however, there's probably better ways to drop $900 if weight's an issue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ChrisFFTA said:
becasue i can! :)
i work for a bike co.
if you can get the fork for less than retail and don't plan on using the bike in ways that might endanger a CF fork theres no good reason not to other than some sort of reverse weight weenie-ism. if you're using a fairly high end build kit for the rest it'll blend in anyways.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Huh?

ChrisFFTA said:
I am buying a Cross Check frame finally but am thinking of saving weight here and there... would I be creating Surly bad vibes if I ditched the steel fork and replaced it with the cross specific EC90X from Easton? Would save 500g...
It would work and save weight, but remember to be smart about brake set up as you will have a greater chance of brake chatter, I run a stock fork on my bean green cross check and a alpha q on my Curtlo geared cross bike, for is similar to the easton.
I saw one cross check (single speed and also bean greeen)with a ritchey wcs fork at the races and it looked rediculous, and he didn't seem to like the fork that much, but the straight blade easton would look much better, esp if you are on a black cross check.
For the price of a easton fork you could have a major down payment on a custom Curtlo frame, But if your paying less then say $300 and you have the money then go for it.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx single1x1

I will be throwing either some avid, high end shimano or tektro cantis on there. i cant get hold of the more boutique stuff here in asia (from a supply perspective that is)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.