Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a bike to get me through the sometimes snowy winters - something to ride mostly paved roads, gravel roads and occasional fire roads when the local trails are unavailable. I'd also likely use it as a commuter. I like my 1x1 so much I can't imaging not having another Surly. The price point certainly attractive for the CrossCheck.

I wouldn't use it as a true CX bike though. So many good things have been said about the CrossCheck here. I'm just wondering if it would make a good winter/commuter bike or would I decide later that I want a true road bike?

Experiences please.

·
( )
755 Posts
I can't say anything but good things about the cross check. For my commute it's perfect. I have 15miles round trip through mostly city streets. Pot holes and frost heaves are everywhere, so having a bike that can take fat tires and full coverage fenders was a must for me. It gives a nice smooth ride and is just a fun bike to ride. I've only run it single speed, and more recently fixed, but having the option for gears is nice too. I bought mine used last spring, so I haven't ridden it through the winter yet, but I intend to and think it will be fine for winter commuting. The only thing I'm not sure about is what tires to use if it's really snowy. I have big apples on there now, which are pretty slick. I hear full knobbies aren't good on snowy streets, so I might have to try a semi-slick (or studded, if the winter turns out to be as bad as they are predicting). I put a photo of it on the "Post Pics of your Surly" thread. Good luck with your decision! (and if you have any advice on snow tires, let me know)
Steve

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
TwistedCrank said:
I'm looking for a bike to get me through the sometimes snowy winters - something to ride mostly paved roads, gravel roads and occasional fire roads when the local trails are unavailable. I'd also likely use it as a commuter. I like my 1x1 so much I can't imaging not having another Surly. The price point certainly attractive for the CrossCheck.

I wouldn't use it as a true CX bike though. So many good things have been said about the CrossCheck here. I'm just wondering if it would make a good winter/commuter bike or would I decide later that I want a true road bike?

Experiences please.
Cross bikes are awesome for winter commuting, road riding, fitness riding, fireroad bombing, and singletrack cruising. I commuted on my geared cross bike last winter in single digit temps and plenty of snow and ice. I used studded Nokian hakkalapawhatever thehelltheyarecalled tires when it was white and icy and they worked great. I just built up a cross check SS for this year and will be commuting on it as well as general purpose winter riding. I definitely recommend a cross bike over a road bike for the riding you described. You can check mine out in the post your Surly thread. Good luck!

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
TwistedCrank said:

Experiences please.
that's pretty much what it is... a commuter/winter beater that can double as a 'crosser, not vice versa and certainly not a true cx race bike.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
perfect

the CC is the do-all bike you're after. I've got many commute miles on mine, almost all as a fixed gear, and I have no complaints. I've been running full fenders on it since Day 1 even though the mean streets of L.A. don't see snow & ice, still nice to have 'em for the occasional toxic runoff crossing :)

Bars have been: Moustache, flat, riser and now WTB Dirt Drops. Tires have changed from plump 32 city tires to skinny 25s to knobby 'crossers.

why are you still reading this???? Get one!

HW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.