Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a cross frame. I've only been asking you guys about it long enough!

In any case, I've been snooping around for some options for a wheelset. I know my 26" wheels well, but when it comes to these larger wheels, I'm a bit lost. The cross bike will probably use a bit more on the road than on the trails, probably 70% road, 30% trails. And even those 30% trails will likely be of the lightweight, cream puff variety.

I've seen some proper cyclocross wheelsets that go for over $200, but I've also seen road wheelsets that got for about $100. I'll be building this bike up as a singlespeed ride, but I'm not opposed to using a wheelset with a cassette body and spacers.

I saw this for about $140 from Nashbar - Shimano 105 hubs, Mavic CXP22 rims

And then there's a flip-flop wheelset from IRO, which is basically a Velocity wheelset, I think - for around $175:

Are there less expensive options? I'd like to not to spend too much more than what I've mentioned here - my budget simply doesn't allow for it.

Does anyone have thoughts, advice, etc.?

· Registered
61 Posts
what spacing do you need?

The spacing needed is really the question. If you need 135 you are pretty much stuck with real cross wheels or touring wheels. I see cross wheels at Nashbar from time to time for 129 to 149 with deore hubs and various rims.

My cross bike goes through about 4 transformations a year varying from full single speed to 1x9 to 2x9 to 3x9 sometimes stripped down for races, or fully accesorized for light touring with fenders racks, lights, panniers the whole bit. To me that is the real value of a cross bike - you can use it for lots of things. Having a single specific rear would really cut down what you can do with it. When geared I frequently use bar-end shifters since I don't have to mess with the brakes to switch, and the left shifter handles both the double and the triple, or I can run right side only for 1x9 and the hoods are not different shapes (a pet peeve of mine that I see at races are disconnected left STI levers). During the summer my cross bike sees about 90% road, in the fall/winter it goes to about 70% off road. For summer I use TUFO D28 Diamond tubular clinchers, they are nearly smooth with just a texture for tread, have good volume and a nice ride, durable casings, and roll really well. For off-road/winter/cross season I alternate between Michelin Cyclo-cross Muds for wet/soft, and Panaracer Cross-blasters for grass/packed. I am really easy on wheels so I am running 24 front/28 rear for road, and 36 15/16 db on light rims for off road or touring.

Hope this helps

FT

· Registered
220 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a cross frame. I've only been asking you guys about it long enough!I saw this for about $140 from Nashbar - Shimano 105 hubs, Mavic CXP22 rims
I have this set in silver, also from Nashbar. A little undertensioned out of the box, but they are working very well under my 200+ pound ass on my cross bike - both with big knobbies and some slick 28's. Just check the tesnsion when you get em & ride away!

· Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, fellas. Really appreciate the advise. The frames under consideration were in the 132.5 and 135 rear dropout spacing range. Sounds like these options might work just fine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.