Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heyy guys im looking for a training system to help me werk on speed and leg strentghs and over all core strengths.
to help me ive been doing alot of the james wilson mtb coach werkouts i found on pinkbike and i ride either my dh bike or cross country bike everyday im jus looking for other ways to help me improve thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Why not pay to have James Wilson make you a custom program for the winter? That is the goal of all the free awesome videos he makes and since you have been using them anyway then you might as well pay some and get a custom workout.

Other helpful things would be

Crossfit membership (expensive)

P90X (cheapish)

Road bike - mix in lots of hills and sprints

Running - again mix in short hills and sprints and if you are looking for a real good workout do both at the same time.

Spin classes at the gym - these hurt if you have a good instructor and you push yourself.

Most of these will cost a bit of money though so in the end I would just go with a personalized workout from Mr Wilson

·
Professional Troll
2,779 Posts
Lift weights: squats, dumbbell/barbell bench, dumbbell/barbell shoulder press. Some kind of tricept workout, lat pull downs, maybe a little seat row action, deadlift, and some calf raise exercise (I prefer seated). Mix those all up twice a week or something, add a few more glamour muscle workouts to keep the ladies happy

Road bike
Mostly big climbs, but some flat, fast stuff to mix it up. I find it hard to push myself on flats so I stick to big(ish?) climbs, and try to do at least 2-2.5k feet of vert climbing on a good ride.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips from both of u i doubt i could afford to get a custom werkout from james wilson but i am joining a gym soon so ill b starting some of the weight training that gemini2k05 said but thanks for the tips from both of u! and im probably gonna try the road biking thing im not a fan of road biking tho but ill give it a shot thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Cross Fit (or some similar variation) will make you strong everywhere, and give you killer cardio as well.

I didn't know it was expensive, but 3-4 times a week for 8-12 weeks and you will be throwing the DH bike around like a toy and riding up the hill instead of taking the lift. The competitive environment makes you push harder than you would solo in my opinion.

Usually includes some nutrition education as well.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

Read their workout of the day (WOD). They have videos explaining most excercises that you might not know in a WOD as well as videos of people demonstrating various wod's. Take that workout, write it down on a piece of paper, and got to the gym and follow it strictly. Do this every day there is a workout of the day. A lot of things are within a time frame (ie-complete as much in 20 minutes as you can) so you might want to hit the gym when it is less populated

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go trail building on a regular schedule. Swing a pick ax and move tons of rock and dirt for 6 hours, and you will feel it. One of Canada's top elite mountain biking coaches would often suggest trail building as a cross training method. The side benefit to your local riding area are great too.

·
9 lives
18,040 Posts
Go trail building on a regular schedule. Swing a pick ax and move tons of rock and dirt for 6 hours, and you will feel it. One of Canada's top elite mountain biking coaches would often suggest trail building as a cross training method. The side benefit to your local riding area are great too.
Totally agree. Currently where we live the conditions are ideal for trail building because the plants are now dying back and the ground is wet making it easier to dig plus these are no mosquitos.

I'm active all year - as long as the ground is frozen and there is not much snow, I can ride.
I practice Yoga (year round), and in winter I ski (downhill and cross country), attend spin classes and weight training.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Crossfit........or anytype of intensity type training for that matter that involves the whole body, you can only gain so much strength from bodyweight excercise, huge gains will come with weighted movements.

Deadlifts
box jumps
sled pulls/drags
squats/front squats
Olympic Style movements i.e cleans, power cleans, push presses, push jerks
Kettlebells (you can buy one at any sporting goods store and break youself off)
Hanging off pullup bar and doing knees to elbow, and toes to bar.....

Quick home workout with a 53lb kettlebell
21-15-9-15-21 (reps) Kettlebell swings/burpees So 21 KB swings/21 burpees...etc etc

20 minutes nonstop
5 burpees, 10 squats, 15 situps (keep repeated for 20 min)

Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness has tons of "free" workouts that can be done from home without any equipment.

If you need anymore crossfit any let me know...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go buy a jump rope, no joke, ten bones, crazy cardio once you get the hang of it and it will help with your agility and reflexes. Sounds silly but skipping rope is no joke.

All are other good options, but on a budget this is a great supplement that you can do any where and it is very easy to take any where.

Not the end all be all but definitely good to add to the bag of tricks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I slapped silentos on a extra wheel set and go road ride my sx trail down and up the hills and road. Run stairs, lunges, block jump(jump up on a 15" block and back off), stand on a stair with just toes raise and lower.
Then hit the gym for alot of light reps and fast.

MOST IMPORTANT
Watch lots of mtb videos beforehand and slap iTunes on with some banging music.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys u all have great ideas...i build trails alot specially lately ive been moving tons of logs dirt rocks and stuff... i snowboard in the winter so that helps a bit but im gonna try this crossfit stuff and go from there thanks guys uve helped me out a ton!

·
makin' riders fast
18 Posts
Dude, don't do crossfit! There are many reasons not to and I will not go into on this post, but instead seek out a coach. Training "willy nilly" will not get you closer to achieving your goal. Training should be personally created or considered with physical screening so you have a foundation of understanding how your body does and doesn't move. I mean, How will improve the skills capability on your bike if your body doesn't move well? How will you train your cardio and fuel systems required for DH without training movement patterns associated with the bio-mechanical requirements needed for mtb'ing and DH. There's a lot that goes into training programming. If you have any questions, shoot me an email, it's what I do.

·
Professional Troll
2,779 Posts
Yeah crossfit is a terrible idea. Swinging around weights in silly patterns and doing lifts like squats and deadlifts to failure or for an aerobic workout is about the quickest way to injure yourself and get no results. Pretty much anyone I've ever known has the same story about crossfit, "Yeah it was fun, and then I hurt my back and I haven't been to the gym in 9 months." And don't tell me because they were "doing it wrong". Those workouts are practically designed for the beginners that do them to get injured.

Anyone who's serious about weightlifting knows that lifts like squats and deadlifts have to be practiced for a long time with low weight and reps and then weight added gradually over long periods of time. Every crossfit program I've ever seen involves throwing beginners into complex olympic lifts with little to no training on form (among other things). Stay away.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
racerX training. free ideas. motocross strength workout routines with more basic core and plyo movements. mimics dh really well but like gemini2k05 said know proper technique first and always.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you get a cycling trainer, have a look at a system called Trainer Road. They have workout programs that are designed to improve your riding in specific areas. Base building, climbing, rolling hills and flats, sprints, cardio building, everything. But it's a heck of a lot more than those built-in exercise bike programs you see at gyms.

It uses algorithms that look at how you are currently doing performance-wise, and automatically adjust itself up or down to give you just enough workout, while not pushing you too far and breaking you down. If you're having a good day, it automatically ramps up your targets. If you're feeling a bit burned out, it scales them back to keep you working just hard enough.

My brother is the one who introduced me to Trainer Road a while back. After one winter using it, he went from Cat4 to Cat1. In a handful of months he went from a decent rider to an absolute beast. It is incredible how much he improved. Since then, I've been sold on the concept. I'm saving the pennies for a trainer now so I can do the same. Best part for my situation is that it doesn't require a fancy $1500 Kick'r trainer either. It works with almost every kind out there, and you can use an AM or DH bike too as long as your trainer will attach to it. The algorithm adjusts to whatever you're on automatically.

Reactions: Trasselkalle
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.