Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 700x23c right now on an all-aluminum bike and it is fairly brutal for me. I am not any sort of athlete or long distance rider, but I have a nice commuter bike for cruising around on and getting exercise. I was thinking to make it a softer ride, I would put some cross tires on it, like in say 700x35c for example, with knobbies. I want to keep the thin tires but I could use the knobbies for cutting across fields, the park, etc. I don't need a lot of speed but I don't want or have clearance to go to a full MTB tire.

Would a slightly larger tire, with more rubber (knobbies) make the bike softer?

Is a cyclocross tire, being narrow and fairly high pressure, still faster and roll better than a normal MTB tire?

Thanks

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
If you're just cutting across dryish dirt you don't really need knobby CX tires and their (not really high) drag. Look at those Ruffys at Rivendell and the Jack Brown tires there too. Then try VeloOrange.com and their fat 700c tires like these nice semi-knob tires -

http://www.velo-orange.com/vicrevoxn70s.html

I'm doing a lot of road (dirt & paved) riding on my new cyclocross bike with high-$ Challenge Grifo Dry tires (look at Bikeman.com). They're great and at 50psi they seem awful fast to me. I'm about 1mph average slower than on my road bike with 100psi 23mm tires. That's nothing. I'm 2mph faster average than on my mountain bike that has semi-slicks.

Try some 32mm(ish) tires and don't pump 'em too high and I think you'll like them. I do. I can nip down any piece of trail or dirt road with them without a worry.

·
Shapeshifter
77 Posts
If you have clearance, even 30 or 32 will make a difference.

+1 knobbies are over rated for dry hard pack.

I've been riding on 32mm Panaracer Urban Max tires for the last couple of years. They are seriously tough and have better grip than one would imagine. Plus they are very cheap and resist thorns nicely. Pavement, curbs, gravel, and dry single track, no problem.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mike T. said:
If you're just cutting across dryish dirt you don't really need knobby CX tires and their (not really high) drag. Look at those Ruffys at Rivendell and the Jack Brown tires there too. Then try VeloOrange.com and their fat 700c tires like these nice semi-knob tires -

http://www.velo-orange.com/vicrevoxn70s.html

I'm doing a lot of road (dirt & paved) riding on my new cyclocross bike with high-$ Challenge Grifo Dry tires (look at Bikeman.com). They're great and at 50psi they seem awful fast to me. I'm about 1mph average slower than on my road bike with 100psi 23mm tires. That's nothing. I'm 2mph faster average than on my mountain bike that has semi-slicks.

Try some 32mm(ish) tires and don't pump 'em too high and I think you'll like them. I do. I can nip down any piece of trail or dirt road with them without a worry.
I second the comment about not pumping the tires up too high. For me narrow road tires at 100 psi give a better ride than 32mm tires at 80 psi. But 32mm tires pumped up to their maximum pressure of 100 psi are just plain brutal.

Check out the late, great Sheldon Brown's article on tire pressure. Personally, I use about 10 psi less than the values in his table but weigh more.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine are actually 700x28c, I was wrong in my op. They are rated to 120psi but I put them down to about 80 and they are better but you can tell they look slightly flat when I get on, at 185 lbs. Thanks for all the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.