Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it toast, but is there any way to fix it? the first half of the threading is now shiny, smooth metal. :madman:

If it's toast, anybody know how to get one, or where to get one the cheapest?

tried derrailleurhanger.com (or someting like that), but they didnt have the vpfree model.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Your LBS might have a "drop-out saver kit." It's a tap and a helicoil. But since youre hanger is aluminum, I don't know how well the helicoil will stay in. IMO, it's not worth it. If you do repair it, keep it as a spare, throw a new one on. Just shell out and pick one up from Santa Cruz or a SC dealer.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
You can also t-bolt it as an alternative to a helicoil. Most good bike shops should have one. I did it to two of my dh bikes and they work great.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Yes... I have done something similar...

Tap the derailleur mounting bolt (if it's SRAM, it should be alloy, and hollow) to 6mm thread, then bolt through the back with a flat head bolt (anything that sticks out will interfere with your 11t cog)

It sandwiches your hanger between the bolt head and the derailleur. Works great!

JMH

kidwoo said:
You can also t-bolt it as an alternative to a helicoil. Most good bike shops should have one. I did it to two of my dh bikes and they work great.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You could always just use a Saint rear derailleur (mounts to the rear axle). Just an idea, especially if your hard on derailleurs, or planning on up grading.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
kidwoo said:
Those are the best things ever made. We use them all the time at the shop I work at. It is hands down the best way to solve the problem, with the exception of this one since the hanger is replacable. BUY A NEW HANGER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.