Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a bike with a 2x10 drivetrain (always used a 3x9 in the past).

Are there cross over gears in a 2x10...i.e. gears you are not supposed to use? Or are all of the gears in the cassette viable gears with either chain ring? Just seems that there would not be as great of a chain angel with the 2 ring set up so maybe this allows for all gear to be useable, but figured I would ask.

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It depends on both the overall drivetrain geometry, adjustment and your sensitivity to cross chaining. In theory a ring can only be perfectly aligned with a single cog. Therefore cross chaining isn't a matter of yes/no but one of degree.

I have a road bike that has a compact drive train (2x10) and it definitely acts cross chained (noisy) when I use the large ring and the two largest cogs or the small ring and the two smallest cogs. On the other hand I have a SRAM 2x10 X9 drivetrain on my Niner and I use all 20 gears simply because I can't tell when I am cross chained. No noise, no extra resistance or grittiness. I have about 2000 miles on that bike and there is no sign of premature wear that I can tell.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
In theory, you should be able to use any of the cassette with either of the chainrings. So cross chaining has been minimised/eliminated with the 2x10 option.

Use what works for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts