Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am new to mountain biking (weekend warrior), have done a ton of research and have confused myself. I am 195lbs, 5'11 living in a NYC suburb. I am new to mountain biking and upgrading a GF Wahoo that was used mainly for recreation. We ride a variety of trails some single track with climbs, downhills, rocks/logs and mud. I would say that the most I would drop is about 3ft I just don't see myself taking any 5ft drops even if I had the skill. I was originally going to go the hard tail route but now feel as though a full suspension maybe a better choice. I still want something relatively light and easy to climb with since in order to come down you must go up first. Below I have listed my choices that fit my budget and hope to test ride as many as possible. Any input would be great also will a XC bike still be able to handle single track and some small drops(2ft), rocks and such.

GT Avalanche Expert
GT Force 3.0
GT Marthon 3.0 - I really like this but it is listed as XC
Cannondale Prophet 4

·
Registered
55 Posts
GT Force 3.0.

I've had my eye on that puppy for a couple months now. I'm just trying to find 1300 clams.
Cannondale and their monoshock worries me. And it's kinda ugly.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
The Cannondale will break and you'll be screwed. My friend's Avalanche has cracked the frame a few times .... he rides road like 15 times a year ... and he weighs 175lbs.

Not sure about the other two, but they can't be as bad as Cannondale.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Prophets are pretty good.

I beg to differ to the above poster - I would NOT touch cannondale's CF frames at all (not just because i dislike CF, because those DO break, ALOT)... But some of their ALU frames are ok, and the prophet in particular is a pretty good bike.

The force is a good bike too..

From your list, I would only look at the Force and the prophet.

Now, of the two - the prophet frame has been around a few years, and that means the initial start-up costs (to set the factory to make them) have been swallowed up, and they make frames now without repaying the R&D, which means you get a very good deal for your money.

The force is still in its first year, which means that the prices will still be pretty high, that said, its getting good reviews and seems pretty solid.

I know everyone is biased towards their own bike - but you sound like you think alot like I do in many respects - if you can afford one, check the RockyMountain ETSX's out - see if you can find an '07 on closeout (probably quite hard by now), if you can, you'd get a bargain that climbs and descends pretty damn well (if i may say so).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the feedback. I had heard good things about the prophet, however, as with American cars I guess I should be concerned. I can get a discount on the GTs, however, will definatly check out the RockyMountain. Do you know anywhere that has reviews on the force or the RockyMoutain. Thanks again!!! I probably will end up going with the Force I have ridden GTs and like the Geo.

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Don't worry about a bike labeled XC. They will be tough enough to do what you want do (as long as you don't go really stupid).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.