Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what races or race series that you would recommend that I look into doing in the 2007 season. I raced two summers ago in one of the Giant Five races(Alpha Racing) and enjoyed it and placed well. I did not race last summer but would like to again this year. That Giant 5 race series is no longer around except for the 8hour relay. I live east of Toronto by about two hours in Peterborough. I am really interested in doing alot more races this year and am not a beginner and long distance doesent bother me at all, so I am open to suggestion. Cheers

·
Registered
385 Posts
Try:

www.ontariocycling.org

That has a calendar of most races throughout the year.

One thing I think we are missing in Ontario is either 100 miler type races (like they have in the U.S.....one long 100 mile loop) or even some of the underground type enduro events like transiowa, KTR, Dirty Kanza etc. Basically these are no entry fee, completely self supported type of races that start on Saturday early morning and end some time on Sunday...usually lasting about 300 miles / 480 km. No support, just stopping at convenience stores for food/water etc. They look like a lot of fun. Just a thought.

Steve

·
almost there!
341 Posts
KeepTheRubberSideDown said:
Can anyone give me their opinion on O-Cup races and how intense the competition is. Would you recommend them?
The O-Cup races are pretty good, I've raced the 30-39 expert category for the last 4 years and they are intense races. But you will have to try a few "sport" category races to start with to figure out if you like them or not.
The competition is serious so don't think you will enter a race and kick butt right off the bat. I was lucky I only had to race one year in sport before I could move up to expert. Based on your skill level I wouldn't race the beginner category at all but go straight to the sport. Chico does a good job of organizing the races and there is hardly ever any complaints about them.

Another good race you should consider since you live near Peterborough is the Pauls Dirty Enduro which is held at Ganaraska Forest, these races are in differents lengths/categorys: 30 km, 60 km and 100 km. The course is loads of fun, the only drawback with Ganaraska is there is loads of Poison Ivy and I've gotten it everytime I've raced there.:thumbsup:

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
KeepTheRubberSideDown said:
Can anyone give me their opinion on O-Cup races and how intense the competition is. Would you recommend them?
I raced my first O-cup at Kelso last year(after 10+ yrs of riding). I found it to be a blast. Its tough, but fun. I was in the try-an-ocup catergory. But after racing it, i found that i would be a pack-of-the-pack....bottom third type as far as placing would go in the sport cat.. Again, i had alot of fun and didnt care how i would finish....as long as I finished(i didn't, i snapped my chain half way through....first time ever!). I will be racing them again this year in the sport cat.:thumbsup: Also, like the previous poster said it is well organized by Chico.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I did my first 3 O-Cups last year in Sport. I had a great time at every one. Albion was nice. Mansfield - race gives you an opportunity to ride trails that are no longer open for daily use. Hardwood had an awesome course for the Canada Cup race.

No major complaints. i went, i raced, i had fun. i think electronic timing might be better, as i did notice some timing errors, but the people running the event are helpful, and will do what they can to help you in the event of any kind of issue.

Sport was much more competitive than i expected, but i still managed to place near the middle among 17-18yr. olds.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. I think I can make it to most of the O-Cups this year except for maybe Elliot Lake so I think I will give them a try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The O Cups are fun! Last year was my first year riding and I did a couple of the Beginner class O-Cups and had a blast.
Since your out east theres also the Crazy 8's races that are real fun. Very fun group and the organizers are great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.