Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a cross-check frameset very soon, but I'm concerned over the sizing. I really want to get it right because last surly I bought, (22" 1x1) has always seemed a tad too large, and I wished I'd gotten a size smaller. Here are my stats- I'm 6'2"-6'3"ish, my cycling inseam is 92-93cm. I'm not really concerned about stand over on any of the sizes, but I'm unsure about reach. I've never had a cyclocross frameset before so I'm really not that sure how they should fit to you. More like a road bike? My roadies have around a 59cm top tube, which is between the 58 & 60cm Surly's. My next concern between a 58 and a 60 is the headtube length. I would no doubt have to have a few spacers under the 60cm, and then I'd have to have at least 20mm more just to make up the difference between headtube length on the two if I went with the 58cm. What are everyone's suggestions? If you've got a 58 or a 60 I'd love to hear how tall you are and how you think they fit you. Thanks a lot!

Or should I just scrap it all and get a karate monkey? :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
i'm about your size and i ride a 62 crosscheck. the standover is minimal, but i have comfortable reach with a 90mm/115deg stem. i'm 76cm from pits to fingertips.

the standover bothers me because its really tight. like setting them on a shelf. i think that you'd have no problems on the 60cm.

as for the KM vs. crosscheck issue, well i've been thinking about that one a lot, and unless you race, i don't think that the KM offers anything that the crosscheck doesn't. the bigger tires are great if you do a lot of aggressive offroad, but i can hit the trails pretty hard on my 42c's on my crosscheck, and i've also done long tours on the crosscheck, which i doubt would be so nice on the KM.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am about your height and have a 60 crosscheck. I absolutely love it and it fits me perfectly. I did have my LBS do a fit for me, we got it dialed with all of the spacers and such. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not certain, but 110x15 sounds familiar. I have 2+ inches of spacers below my stem as I set the bike up for long road rides. With the recommendations from the fit guide at the shop, we were able to get the thing dialed perfectly. I have put so many miles on this bike and was comfortable the whole time. I don't know what my 'real' inseam is, but I wear 34 length jeans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 62 is coming tomorrow

I've got a 92.5 cm inseam and an 82cm saddle height, so it would look like we have similar dimensions. But I think I like my bikes a little bigger than you. My most comfortable bike is a 64cm Rivendell Quickbeam.

I ordered a 62cm crosscheck frame last week. It should come in today. For what it's worth, if you can wait a few days for me to bolt it all together, I'll post how it fits me and snap some pics.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clownempire, you do sound pretty similar to me dimension wise. You're right though, I think I do like my frames a wee bit smaller. At least in toptube length. Maybe cyclocross bikes fit a little different, and I'm just thinking about it more like my roadie. I usually run just under 70cm total length (top tube + stem).

Post some pics of the frame when you get it too, and built up if you want, I'd love to see it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm 6'4", all arms and legs. My 60cm Cross-Check is on the big side for me, next time I'll likely get a 58. With a 100mm stem I feel really stretched, and only comfortable when really pushing myself. I wonder if a shorter stem would help me, or just make the handling more agressive than it already is. I have Slasa Short&Shallow bars, which to me seem like really long and deep, oh well. I'll have to re-wrap the bar tape with the bars tilted another way, see if that can improve reach.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I'm 6'4", all arms and legs. My 60cm Cross-Check is on the big side for me, next time I'll likely get a 58.
I just got my 62 and am building it up. The bikes definitely run big. I'm running a stem 1cm shorter than normal for me (100mm) and when I sat on the bike last night, it felt a little long. My two other roadish bikes are 64s and I use an 11cm and 12 cm on each of them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
more questions..

I'm planning to buy a 60 based on the specs on the website,but you guys are scaring me.I go by wheelbase,front center,headtube length,and estimated reach,and I seem to think I want a 60.

So,my question is,do they measure bigger than the charts indicate,or do I just like big bikes?

Now,if Surly would just get in some 60's in the dark green I'll be happy.

dan

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm just a hair over 6' with an inseam of 87-88cm. I have a 58cm Cross Check. I really could have gone with a 56 or a 58cm, but elected to go with a frame size similar to what I would take for a road bike. I do run a short stem so I am a little more upright, and the extra head tube length of the larger frame is nice. While I don't have much standover clearance it has never been a problem.

The problem with trying to run a Karate Monkey frame for 'cross use is the top tube is too long. A medium KM (the size I have) has a 60cm effective top tube length, which is definitely too long for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dfcas said:
I'm planning to buy a 60 based on the specs on the website,but you guys are scaring me.I go by wheelbase,front center,headtube length,and estimated reach,and I seem to think I want a 60.

So,my question is,do they measure bigger than the charts indicate,or do I just like big bikes?
My 62 measures out dead on to the specs (according to my tape measure). I bought mine based on your criteria and I think it will fit for what I'm going to use it for (commuting, some light off road, maybe some medium length road rides). I finally pieced it together enough for a spin around the block. It's going to be fun.

Bike fit, to me, is a black art. I only know the bikes I ride, and this is the first one I've owned that has the geometry of a cyclocross bike. It's a little different from the rest of mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Couple of pics of the 62

TACSTS said:
have you got any pics of it built up yet? I'd love to see them.
Not done yet, but here's some pics of the rolling frame with the bits that I have on hand.

Saddle height is at 82 cm center of crank to top of saddle (in the middle, along the line that the seatpost follow). I don't know the proper way to measure reach, so I'm not going to post that measurement. Regardless, I think I still need another centimeter of reach, so I'm swapping stems tomorrow to try an 11cm.

As you can see, I like a little less seatpost showing than some people, and I like my bars a little higher. I ride mostly in the drops.

Hope this helps. Oh yeah, I splurged for a set of Paul cantis because my name is Paul. Ha! That's a neo-retro in front and it locks up like a vice. The touring canti in the rear isn't fully adjusted yet.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
clownempire

Looking at the height of your bars and the spacers under your stem,I think you made a good call on the 62.A 60 would have left you with too many spacers under your stem,I think.

I'm hoping/expecting when I move the saddle forward due to the slack seat tube angle,the reach will be right.I want the longer head tube the 60 offers over the 58.

dan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I finally pulled the trigger! I ordered a 60cm tonight. Also chose to try a Salsa stem in 105mm length, and 130 degree. Via a little freshman trig that gives me an effective stem length of 80mm, and a rise of 67.5mm. That will put toptube + eff stem length at 68cm, which when paired with perhaps some midge bars or marys should *in theory* fit me well. Also the high rise stem means I should be able to go pretty sparingly with the spacers, which isn't it always nice to not have 5 inches of spacers? This is the first bike that I'm going to build my own wheels for, so I'm pretty excited about that. Going to be Salsa Delgado rims, XT hubs, and DB14 Wheelsmith spokes with brass nipples. I'm going to start out with it geared 1x9 style with SRAM X.7 trigger stuff. Knowing me though it will probably end up SS before too long. I've sold 2 bikes this week with a 3rd transaction in the works, I figure I deserve at least one replacement! If anyone is thinking about one, or any surly product in general I got a great deal at www.bicyclenut.com, $310.99 then - 20% using code xmas005 = $248.79 for frame and fork in black! I couldn't pass that up! Now to just wait patiently (well semi-patiently) for it to come in.

Thanks again, to all of you all that have helped me arrive at this choice, frame pics and build up pics will be forthcoming! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.