Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's been a while and my Cannondale F400 hardtail has treated me very well. However, today, I let my friend borrow my bike for about 5 mins just to ride up a big hill. When I got the bike back, it was in the 1st (front?) gear and the 9th (rear?) gear. I noticed immediately that this cross-chaining was a problem and put it back to 3 and 7, like I usually have for flat land use. However, it seems like the 7th, 8th and 9th gears will simply not hold on to the chain now, and it slips a notch every few cranks. The bike has an X-7 RD and a Deore FD, and the gears have been perfect up until today.

Is it really possible for my friend to have ruined my gears in this short period of cross chaining? What is the next step for me? (By the way, all of this took place on roads, where my bike spends most of its time)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
974 Posts
It is possible there may be some damage. Check out the RD and the hanger. The problem with a cross chaining is too much strain on the chain. This can bend the cage or the hanger. Which would explain the random shifting in the larger cassette rings. It also may be as simple as cable stretch. Try to tighten the cable bolt on the RD and adjust the alignment. If it still clicks around, it's probably bent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.