Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
i like cheese.
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my surly cross check fixed as my commuter… but I am beginning to want to throw some gears on it so I can expand it's reach (Really want to do a PEE on it). However, I am clueless on what kind build to put together… I am a no non-sense kind of guy that wants durability over weight, and enjoys long walks on the beach. Oh, and I am poor. I have a classic 105 crankset that would stay.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
shimano bar end/DT shitfers with a 9 speed cassette. are cheap and easy. They pop in the bar ends and the cables route under your bar tape.Super easy to deal with.
I've been thinking about converting my commuter for the PEE too.
Give me a call if you want help. I've done this a bunch.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
bike=good said:
I've been riding my surly cross check fixed as my commuter… but I am beginning to want to throw some gears on it so I can expand it's reach (Really want to do a PEE on it). However, I am clueless on what kind build to put together… I am a no non-sense kind of guy that wants durability over weight, and enjoys long walks on the beach. Oh, and I am poor. I have a classic 105 crankset that would stay.

Suggestions?
2x9 it with bar end shifters:
9sp 11-34 cassette.
shimano ultegra 9spd bar end shifters
46t and 34t chainrings
9spd chain
shimano LX rear derail
lx front derail

simple

buy the parts and bring them over with a bottle of scotch and I will do it for you.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
minor hijack alert: what kind of tires and tubes? I have been running some 1.5inch tires with a bit of tread on my old SC Superlight, but, i have [email protected] thorn resistant tubes inside. I can feel the heaviness in the wheels but since i use this to commute and am on a schedule, the reliability of absolutely no air loss has been key.

any suggestions for a better combo?

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
chollaball said:
minor hijack alert: what kind of tires and tubes? I have been running some 1.5inch tires with a bit of tread on my old SC Superlight, but, i have [email protected] thorn resistant tubes inside. I can feel the heaviness in the wheels but since i use this to commute and am on a schedule, the reliability of absolutely no air loss has been key.

any suggestions for a better combo?
700C X 34-38 with any of the Continental "safety system" build
MR TUFFY LINER
STANDARD TUBE

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love cross bikes. Some guys build up their cross bikes with mountain bike bits. I think that's overkill for most people. If you're looking to build it out with a new drive and you don't want to go with bar end shifters, I'd look into picking up some SRAM Rival shifters, derailleurs, etc. That stuff is a serious value as roadie bits go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.