Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did I tell you how good coffee is?

That’s me on the right, looking at the fokker who’s pre-riding the course during the sport race. I wanted to jab my pump in his front wheel, Breaking Away style. The idiot had the gall to tell me to get out of the way, and when I saw he had no front number plate, and a double digit elite number on his back, I got upset.

I’m surprised someone snapped that picture as that happened.

I am trying frame choices for cross bike ENObility:
Vulture
Hunter
Land Shark
Rock Lobster
SyCip
Steelman
Soma

Discuss...

·
Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
wellschit, w/some of those guys, you could simply go EBB or horizontals if'n you want. But I understand your love affair w/the EnoEcc. I'd go for either a Kelly, or a Gunnar. Unless you can get some of the custom names in a used frame, it's be kind of an expensive way to get a frame just to use an Eno hub...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no slopes

~martini~ said:
wellschit, w/some of those guys, you could simply go EBB or horizontals if'n you want. But I understand your love affair w/the EnoEcc. I'd go for either a Kelly, or a Gunnar. Unless you can get some of the custom names in a used frame, it's be kind of an expensive way to get a frame just to use an Eno hub...
I don't want a frame with a sloping tube, because sloping top tubes piss me off. if I go butique, that's ok. Besides, EBBs are a hassle. With ENO, you can adjust on the fly without having to use math in your head.

Yes, I should have kicked his ass, but then that's me getting further down to his level. Why do the elite riders think they're the caca? Sure, I understand you get to the venue a little late and you need to pre-ride, but please, wake up earlier and don't be a jerk.

I'm hungry.

Hungry for love.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Skip the Steelman, those are around $2k for the frame. I think you get what you pay for with all the others. You might want to look at Soulcraft. Their pricing is comparable to others you mention, and they tend to stay away from sloping top tubes.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
math?

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
Besides, EBBs are a hassle. With ENO, you can adjust on the fly without having to use math in your head.
Can you explain the need for math? I thought EBB's and ENO's were both adjusted on the fly, rotate until the chain tension looks good.

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
Skip the Steelman...

Boy named SSue said:
Skip the Steelman, those are around $2k for the frame. I think you get what you pay for with all the others. You might want to look at Soulcraft. Their pricing is comparable to others you mention, and they tend to stay away from sloping top tubes.

Cheers
I was just on the Steelman site the other day and was very surprised to see the cost of his frames jumped up to $1950. I bought mine about 3 years ago and only paid around $1100. I think the cost increase now though is because all frames are custom built only, and most of the add-ons..i.e., disc welds, rack mounts, etc. are included in price. I bought mine when he was making standard sizes...custom cost a bit more then too. It is one sweet ride though.

Anyway...I'm hoping the Steelman is ENO compatible because I'm planning to make the switch when I get it back. Does anybody here know ? Sadly that will be awhile as I just sent it back today to have a new dropout and hanger rewelded on. Has anyone ever seen a dropout bend like this? And so the wait begins. In the meantime, I'll continue to let the trek ss beat me up. It has me hooked already.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
hey ernesto.

i say you post that pic of the elite scumbag pre-riding during the sport race over on the WORS site. a picture is worth a thousand words, dontcha know. title it "elite scumbag pre-riding during sport race" and leave it at that.

what would happen to a cat 1/2 pre-riding the crit course of a superweek race during the 4/5 race, i wonder?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
faster

mon t said:
hey ernesto.

i say you post that pic of the elite scumbag pre-riding during the sport race over on the WORS site. a picture is worth a thousand words, dontcha know. title it "elite scumbag pre-riding during sport race" and leave it at that.

what would happen to a cat 1/2 pre-riding the crit course of a superweek race during the 4/5 race, i wonder?
Gotcha. I know, what a scumbag! Notice though mon_t, I am riding with your wheel there?
I could hear the guy behind me, huffing and puffing, and said one of those loud "track! track left! on your left!" He dicked me over when I found out right there that he shouldn't have been pre-riding. I wonder how many poor saps like me he passed. it wasn't just that guy, the guy behind him too!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
Uhh, not to nick pits here, but an ENO required two tools, a 6mm allen-preferably Bondhus-and a 19mm cone wrench. Where as a pichy style EBB like on my Hunter only requires one tool. A 5mm Bondhus allen wrench. Howzat for mad math skilllz?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it depends

~martini~ said:
Uhh, not to nick pits here, but an ENO required two tools, a 6mm allen-preferably Bondhus-and a 19mm cone wrench. Where as a pichy style EBB like on my Hunter only requires one tool. A 5mm Bondhus allen wrench. Howzat for mad math skilllz?
With ENO, I only use 1 tool. My 6mm allen. Some adjusting with teeth is a good thing, so I made it clear with my bikes that only the weight of their frames, and if using the ENO in freewheel mode, one needs to tighten the non-drive side 1st. If using a fixed mode, the drive side tightens before the other side.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
chili said:
I was just on the Steelman site the other day and was very surprised to see the cost of his frames jumped up to $1950. I bought mine about 3 years ago and only paid around $1100. I think the cost increase now though is because all frames are custom built only, and most of the add-ons..i.e., disc welds, rack mounts, etc. are included in price. I bought mine when he was making standard sizes...custom cost a bit more then too. It is one sweet ride though.

Anyway...I'm hoping the Steelman is ENO compatible because I'm planning to make the switch when I get it back. Does anybody here know ? Sadly that will be awhile as I just sent it back today to have a new dropout and hanger rewelded on. Has anyone ever seen a dropout bend like this? And so the wait begins. In the meantime, I'll continue to let the trek ss beat me up. It has me hooked already.
They're sweet bikes by all means. I think going all custom and switching to Spectrum for painiting both did it. Soulcraft is all custom as well but a good bit cheaper.

Of the list above, I would go Hunter/Soulcraft/Rock Lobster.

Cycling news has a good writeup of making a fixie using an eno

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/white_ind_eno_eccentric_hub

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where was the race?

Ernesto,
Where was the race? I was born and raised in Milwaukee (24yrs) and moved away in 82 so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

By the way, if that jerk ever did that in a race he could be DQ'd if he jeopordizes your safety. NORBA rules are the rider in front OWNS the trail and it's the responsiblity of the passing rider to do so safely. I learned the hard way and didn't push the issue to get a guy DQ'd last year when he took me down (AT SPEED) at a NORBA race. I relied on the promoter to know the NORBA rules! That was a BIG mistake.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Chainwhipped said:
Probably a FIB. I quit racing Wors last year, too many unfriendly people. I now travel to Michigan once in a while for races, it's more relaxed and alot more fun.
Chainwhipped - I'm near Grand Rapids, Michigan. If you get in the area, give me a shout and we may be able to hook up for a ride.

Craig

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.