Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cross/29er dual use bike?

Dimension rigid disc fork anyone?

http://archive.mtbr.com/02/0EF703BE.php

Shiggy, are you still using the dimension cross fork?

I just got a cross frame off the bay, and I am debating what fork to get for it. I want disks on it. Should I get a disc cross fork like the Winwood? Or should I get a MTB fork like the Dimension or others, so that I can switch to a meaty tire when I want to do more off road use out of it. Most of the parts are going to be left over MTB parts from my dead B-29er. So should I stick to the MTB theme and go for a Salsa fork? I will probably ride it off road only on the occasions that I lend my Rig to friends.

Winwood Carbon Cross 640g
Salsa 1000g
Kona P2 MTB 29er 1185g

Anyone else riding a cross bike with MTB components?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
29erchico said:
Dueling bicycle use. Kind of wild. So, jousting spears while riding at each other at speed??

Or were you thinking of dual uses for a bike?
Thanks, I made the correction. Although it's not as funny this way.
 

·
blame me for missed rides
Joined
·
789 Posts
DC_MTB said:
I just got a cross frame off the bay, and I am debating what fork to get for it. I want disks on it. Should I get a disc cross fork like the Winwood? Or should I get a MTB fork like the Dimension or others, so that I can switch to a meaty tire when I want to do more off road use out of it. Most of the parts are going to be left over MTB parts from my dead B-29er. So should I stick to the MTB theme and go for a Salsa fork? I will probably ride it off road only on the occasions that I lend my Rig to friends.
geometry is a big concern. cross forks are ~400mm axle to crown with ~45mm offset. just about every MTB fork is longer than that. your best bet is kona p2 CROSS disc fork. i'm not sure how well the winwood takes real MTB abuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weather said:
geometry is a big concern. cross forks are ~400mm axle to crown with ~45mm offset. just about every MTB fork is longer than that. your best bet is kona p2 CROSS disc fork. i'm not sure how well the winwood takes real MTB abuse.
The Winwood axel to crown is 390. I cant find measurments for the others but the Pace on my Rig is 460? I think?

Do you know the measurements for the P2 cross and if it comes in dics version?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
5th Dimension

cloughja said:
If you're considering the Dimension, how about the 700c version?

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK1267

It has geometry that's more cross compatible. I haven't used it myself, but I think it has room for some of the larger cross tires.
I had me one of them forks before. The 700x45 tire you see on the Lobster fit in it just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Which frame?

Knowing what frame will help, steerer diameter 1 1/8? Most cross frames use a 400mm axle to crown fork but a few use 420 length which you can get in a 26" mtb fork and use with disks and 29er tires. You need at least a 410-413 length fork to fit 29er tires, I have a 400mm fork that won't even hold a Fire Cross which is a great tire for bikes like this. You'll be limited to a cross tire in back with most frames though. Nashbar sells a carbon cross fork thats the same as the Winwood (different labels from same factory) for $139, it's a great deal.

I want Ernesto's bike, thats what my project will look like I hope!
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
Here is a Dimension MTN disc fork on a Surly CrossCheck.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2252351&postcount=115

Yo Steven!

You have to STOP posting pictures of Monster X bikes in the forum!

You are going to drive me over the edge and I will have to buy one. Stop it! :nono:

I don't have a bike budget right now...... :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
midtnSS said:
Knowing what frame will help, steerer diameter 1 1/8? Most cross frames use a 400mm axle to crown fork but a few use 420 length which you can get in a 26" mtb fork and use with disks and 29er tires. You need at least a 410-413 length fork to fit 29er tires, I have a 400mm fork that won't even hold a Fire Cross which is a great tire for bikes like this. You'll be limited to a cross tire in back with most frames though. Nashbar sells a carbon cross fork thats the same as the Winwood (different labels from same factory) for $139, it's a great deal.

I want Ernesto's bike, thats what my project will look like I hope!
Yup 1 1/8. The Nasbar fork looks like a good option.

I got the frame yesterday, NY City bikes raw aluminum (ebay). It looks like the limiting factor for tire clearance will be this plate(?) on the chain stays. I wonder if I can 'tune' it?
 

Attachments

·
another bozo on the bus
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
DC_MTB said:
Yup 1 1/8. The Nasbar fork looks like a good option.

I got the frame yesterday, NY City bikes raw aluminum (ebay). It looks like the limiting factor for tire clearance will be this plate(?) on the chain stays. I wonder if I can 'tune' it?
dont "tune it" too much or you wont have a place for your kickstand. :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
The winwoods are good forks.

Running the winwoods on my raleigh 29er, love them. Pitty about the shitty brake bosses though, wish they did a disc only version. Nice and light, nice and strong, track well, steer well. I weigh 95kg (warranty probably void now)and haven't had any problems after about 9 months.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top