Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to learn the Tapeworm network a little better, and went looking for crop circles today. I found what I thought was the long switchback section to get into it, but it ended up on the top of some dirt jump stuff instead. Not the larger flow-line - fairly small stuff.

So at risk of sounding like Dick Button, be warned!

Seriously, though, the last reference to "Crop Circles" I've found was in 2006. Does that trail still exist?

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
i'm no tapeworm expert, but i enter what i think is crop circles to the left of the power pole at the intersection where people have bon fires (coming from parasite). i think you were at the end of mr. dna, where all those berms and jumps are.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds possible.

I'll have to try again next time

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It's right under the power lines in the open grassy area between Mr DNA and the jump linie in the woods. Hence the reason it gets overgrown all the time. Have not been down there in a while now to see for myself so no one may be keeping it open any more? Hard to say.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
No Crop Circles was "Buttoned" probably well over a year ago...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I live 2 blocks from the area and ride there all the time. 1/2 of Crop Circles still exists and is very rideable. It's a fun twisty section that we ride on our way to the Tapeworm after Riding Mr. DNA. When heading south it is the entrance after the small banked jumpline. The spiral section has been over grown for sometime and was rarely kept clear enough to ride. My buddies and I have been thinking of clearing it again before spring, but to tell the truth is isn't that fun of a trail.

If your looking for someone to show you around the area let me know. I've been riding there since the late 90s and know every twist and turn like the back of my hand.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Mr. Lynch said:
The spiral section has been over grown for sometime and was rarely kept clear enough to ride. My buddies and I have been thinking of clearing it again before spring, but to tell the truth is isn't that fun of a trail.
FYI, if you're going to clear it, there is no better time than now. Waiting 'til spring means you're just fighting with the crazy growth and it ain't gonna happen. Clear it way wider than you have to, but expect that you'll need to give it another "haircut" at least once during the summer.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If we clear it, it will definitely be in the next few weeks. It's a perfect time of the year to do it. I got a new battery powered hedge trimmer that makes quick work of the growth on the Tapeworm, so it should work great opening up Crop Circles!

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
That'd be nice. I've yet to complete CC, simply because of the overgrowth. I love that "twisty" section you speak of as well. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey a couple friends and I will be out there on Sunday morning around 8:30. If anyone wants to meet up and ride they are more than welcome. I've only been there twice so we don't really know our way around that great :D

·
Registered
829 Posts
There's actually an event there this Sunday. Which reminds me, my car pooped the bed. Is anyone going there from the South Seattle area want to give me a ride? I have some snacks to share, and appreciate all forms of music.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
fotu said:
There's actually an event there this Sunday. Which reminds me, my car pooped the bed. Is anyone going there from the South Seattle area want to give me a ride? I have some snacks to share, and appreciate all forms of music.
Yeah, I hear it's those events and the people doing them that have contributed the most to the "dumbing down" of the 'worm.... :( Just sayin'...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ouch. I didn't know that. That makes me sad. Especially because I am new here, and don't want to contribute to people's worms getting dumb. Although I gotta say, I am also a little surprised that a low key race once or twice a year can ruin a trail system.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, I was practicing tapeworm because of the race. I'd last ridden it about two years ago, right after moving to Seattle from Manhattan, and it was a little much for me. But I've been riding my mountain bike more since then, and it's been a lot more fun this time around.

Hopefully Messman's not doing anything to the course. It's the sixth time this even has been held, so I'd think that either it's already been screwed up or it's not going to get screwed up. It's not like a massed start race with a couple hundred riders where the organizers might go through and shorten log-overs before holding it.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
What I heard was that "people" were dumbing down stuff to make the course "faster" and that usually means cutting out tree chokes and roots, etc. Stuff that can't easily be un-done... It's a freeway these days compared to Thom's original intent.

"Fun" is in the eye of the beholder and "flow" is the name of the game these days...

But, that whole 'worm deal has been hashed and re-hashed a million times already.

Back on thread, Crop Circles used to be really fun on night rides. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Crop circles is definitely a good night ride for sure. No low branches to watch out for like on the Tapeworm and parasite. Getting Crop Circles going again would also add a nice link between Mr. DNA and the Tapeworm.

I've been riding the worm since it was built and while it isn't as difficult as it use to be, it is still a fun trail. I rode it Sunday and Yesterday and had a great time. Massive use wear things done and widens the trail. A lot of the old "fun" sections have simple wore down or rotten away. The Parasite has a ton of new deadfall on it and the difficulty is way up on the trail. it's nice to see the Gnomes are putting the logs to use and not just clearing them out.

·
Unicorn Disabilities Act
49 Posts
AndrwSwitch said:
Hopefully Messman's not doing anything to the course.
Maybe he should? :idea:

Anytime you have a timed race, people are going to look for the "fast line" which leads to trail braiding & widening, as people look for detours around technical obstacles (not to mention puddles and mud).

regardless of the actual impact of the race, it would be a nice gesture towards the MTB community if the organizer/promoter put in a day of trailwork to organized a work party to improve or at least address repair & maintenance issues. Or at least, bump the entry fee up a couple of dollars and forward the extra proceeds to Evergreen, or use proceeds to buy tools or supplies to improve tapeworm trails. I think what rubs some people wrong about this event is that the trails get nothing back in return for hosting the event.

It would be rad if there was a new feature at tapeworm created as part of each one of these organized events. Six years... there'd be 6 new challenging features!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
I think that's what rubs a LOT of people with these events. Most "race organizers" aren't the folks putting in the work on these trails. I have no doubt that they aren't intentionally doing any wrong to the trails,but it does indeed happen as racers try to find the fastest way from A to B.

EB

1 - 20 of 41 Posts