Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a tentative 'build' for my new Niner WFO (Feb/March?). I'd be interested in feedback. No rush (obviously!). Thanks.

SRAM 09 X.0 Short Cage Rear Derailluer
SRAM PG990 9spd cassette 11-34
SRAM PC991 Cross Step 9spd chain
Avid Elixir CR Front Disc 185mm Rotor
Avid Elixir CR Rear Disc 160mm Rotor
SRAM X.0 Trigger shifter set (incl Hammerschmidt front)
08 Easton EC70 Seatpost 350 31.6 2B UD or ‘09 EC90 ZERO SEAT POST or FSA K- Force
08 Easton MonkeyLite XC LO 685 CNT 31.8 ‘09
Ergon Enduro Grips Small
Thomson X4 Mountain 31.8 90mm 90 Degrees Black 1-1/8" Threadless or FSA OS-115 or Easton EA90- STEM
WTB Laser V SLT Saddle Black w/ Ti Rails
Panaracer Rampage 29 x 2.35 Kevlar bead Black
Panaracer Rampage 29 x 2.35 Kevlar bead Black
Industry Nine wheels w/Stan's Flow rims
Hammerschmidt AM Crankset
Hammerschmidt BB
Gore Cables, fully sealed

·
Registered
753 Posts
That is a ROCK SOLID Build!

Remind me again what the Stock Fork is. I want to say it is a Rock Shox Boxxxer but I could be mistaken.
I personally would go with a 203mm/185mm. Brake Rotor Combo but I am most likely a little larger.

Please do not forget to post pics eventually!

Enjoy,

PF

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You haven't stated which rear axle spacing option you've chosen, 135 or 150 - Me personally would have to go for the 150mm bolt through option, this way you get a much stiffer rear and a dishless wheel.

As for build kit, well personally I like Thomson ( their stuff is just quality) so it'd be post and stem Thomson - you know they'll last.

Regarding the saddle, that's a very personal choice, but I'd say if you like the LazerV also check out the PureV - I just got one for my RIP9 replacing a RocketV and even though it's wider it is very comfortable and the extra length is appreciated - I'm not sure if I'd go for a Ti railed saddle for a bike designed for what the WFO is designed for.

Not a fan of carbon pretty much anywhere, but I'd be especially weary on a 6" bike and for sure if I did go caerbon would go for a DH specific bar.

Got to agree also with PF on the rotor size, would more suit what i think you'd be doing with the bike, UNLESS you're a light guy.

Sure wish I could add one of these bad boys to my collection :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,

Great stuff! The fork, if it's ready in time, is supposed to be a "beautiful Marzocchi 44 29er fork with 100-140mm of adjustable ATA travel, an air cartridge, 15mm quick release thru axle, compression, rebound and lockout" (from Niner). It was designed especially for the WFO.

I'm an old, middle-weight, guy; so, I'm probably not going to push the envelope on this bike. I'm thinking that the 'carbon' helps on the ascent leg.

LyNx: I'll check out the Pure V and take a more detailed look at the 135 vs. the 150mm option. I don't know what the resulting differences/benefits are (but you've given me some direction to explore).

As it develops, I'll update this post, and post pictures in a few months.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ah, a man who thinks like I do ;) :thumbsup: Really see no need for anything "better" than XT/X9 really for normal MTB riding. As said, when you break off that $200 rear derailleur (and you will, it's not a question) it will hurt your heart to replace it :( Wonder if Niner couldn't have tried to design a really nice rear derailleur cage/protector to really cap off the WFO.

I don't think that 6" rear will play nice with 5.6 in front, but if Niner has imput on it and the A to C is the "right" height, then yeah, but I'd more stick a true 6" fork, although having the travel adjust for climbing would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing and reading reports when these get into the publics hands.

The Monkey said:
I'll be running the WB 150 fork on mine with the 150mm rear end
Also, Avid Code brakes, and X9 components. X0 will be costly to replace when I crash.
I know I will crash a lot on this bike

·
Registered
789 Posts
Rims

If your building this bike to rail down the side of a Mtn hitting every rock/downed tree/ditch along the way and then to fly off of a ledge...then IMO...
Do not buy Stans Flows for the rear wheel build...They will get TRASHED if you pound them. IMO I would build a 36 spoke rear hub and or lace it with a Sun Ryno Lite...
My experience with a Stan Flow ended up with a "S" rim and several flat spots after just 100 miles...Yes the build was top notch...the front Flow is still true and running great.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Really :eekster: How much do you way PP? I can't say I've totally abused my Pro2/Flow wheelset, but I've sure beat it up pretty decently and everything is still good, round and true. Know loads of people riding the Flows who would say the same thing :skep: I guess for a more FR wheel going with a Kris Holmes rim or the Salsa Gordo might be a better plan.

pcupach said:
If your building this bike to rail down the side of a Mtn hitting every rock/downed tree/ditch along the way and then to fly off of a ledge...then IMO...
Do not buy Stans Flows for the rear wheel build...They will get TRASHED if you pound them. IMO I would build a 36 spoke rear hub and or lace it with a Sun Ryno Lite...
My experience with a Stan Flow ended up with a "S" rim and several flat spots after just 100 miles...Yes the build was top notch...the front Flow is still true and running great.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Its all in how you approach the mountain

I weigh about 225 loaded up...So IMO I have the "weight to trash the rims"...So I replaced the Flow with a Mavic 719...it didnt last either..then went to a Sun Ryno Lite...its been a champ handling AM in NM...no issues.
I still have a Stans Flow up front and I have no problems with it....in fact I cant see replacing it any time soon.
However IMO if you are riding the WFO then build a wheelset that will take a beating.
Again its just my opinion but I also believe your choices are excellent...

LyNx said:
Really eekster: How much do you way PP? I can't say I've totally abused my Pro2/Flow wheelset, but I've sure beat it up pretty decently and everything is still good, round and true. Know loads of people riding the Flows who would say the same thing :skep: I guess for a more FR wheel going with a Kris Holmes rim or the Salsa Gordo might be a better plan.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Seems pretty foo foo

THis is a bike designed to trash! I would drop down to a X7 or X9 rear derailleur, Easton EA 70 bar, and put some tough rims on that bad boy. It ain't made for loving but beating. Also, get a Gravity Dropper post. You want a loving bike get a Jet 9 ;) Otherwise, a great build...

Jaybo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.