Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using the lights to commute 1.2hours each way on a road bike. I only do this commute twice a week and do a 20 min commute the other three days.

I have done a fair bit of reading have decided on the following but I am open to suggestions.

TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode Memory 230-Lumen LED, for the helmet and backup light $19.98 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335

MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight (18650) for the bars $41.25
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

Universal bicycle mount for standard drop bars. I this mount might be the best because I want to mount the light under my bars and forward. $3.25 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15642

Nylon mount for helmet $2.50
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

Digital LiIon 18650 battery charger $8.44
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) I am getting two packs $20
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

Totals
$3.25+2.50+19.98+41.25+8.44+20 = $95.42 - $2.10 for coupon code PAYPAL = $93.32 total shipped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Interesting...looks to be up my alley as well. I'm night riding single track with only a 2watt and a 3w led light...was looking into getting something reasonably priced and I think something like this just might do the trick for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I take it you have your back covered... At least as important as the front on the roads IMO - couple of superflashes or something...

I ride through the city, parked cars and sidestreets, and the helmet light is an absolute must. Side-street cars can't see you through the parked cars, but your head is above most of them and you can deliberately point your helmet at the driver.

I use that helmet mount - it works well. I'm using two for a rigid mount, but having difficulty getting the right angle (with available mount points). I may have to switch to a single mount to get the right elevation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sping said:
I take it you have your back covered... At least as important as the front on the roads IMO - couple of superflashes or something...

I ride through the city, parked cars and sidestreets, and the helmet light is an absolute must. Side-street cars can't see you through the parked cars, but your head is above most of them and you can deliberately point your helmet at the driver.

I use that helmet mount - it works well. I'm using two for a rigid mount, but having difficulty getting the right angle (with available mount points). I may have to switch to a single mount to get the right elevation.
I have a basic tail light but I want to upgrade to a planet bike superflash

I'm also putting SOLAS tape on the bike and have a few other small blinkly lights

I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
- yeah, reflectors really work too. I rode home yesterday behind some guy who'd removed his reflectors to look cool, and had some trivial little blinky that held itself on with stretchy rubber.

I wanted to tell him that I couldn't tell he had a light at all until I got within 40ft of him - I thought he was a ninja.

A low-down reflector shows up better than most people's lights. I'm going to move mine from the seatpost to the bottom of my mudguard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts
That looks good, and it seems that on high the light draws a bit over 2 amps so your run time should be fine. Just think whether the modes suit you. Having to go through Low and Mid to get to High might be annoying. I have the 8 mode version, which start on Medium and then goes to High and it is OK, but I would prefer it started on High and the moved to Low. I don't use the other 6 modes at all.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
sping said:
- yeah, reflectors really work too. I rode home yesterday behind some guy who'd removed his reflectors to look cool, and had some trivial little blinky that held itself on with stretchy rubber.

I wanted to tell him that I couldn't tell he had a light at all until I got within 40ft of him - I thought he was a ninja.

A low-down reflector shows up better than most people's lights. I'm going to move mine from the seatpost to the bottom of my mudguard.
1) reflectors only work when people have their lights on, aimed at you, and lined up close to the line of sight between you and them. more info on that stuff Since all those criteria are not always being met, active lights that produce light of their own are still critically important. Aim the lights level, not tilted down at the ground.

2) a dirty reflector won't work well, so the bottom of your mudguard may not be a very good place for it. What I like to do, is apply red reflective tape up the bottom 1/2 of the mudguard (aka "fender" to U.S. dwellers). It reflects from a wider range of angles than cube-corner plastic reflectors, and you can get a much greater reflective area too. The higher area will not get dirty as fast, so if you wipe it off daily, that ought to keep it functional.

Some tape reflects much better than others, so at a minimum, use the stuff that's used on the rear of semi trailers (DOT Class II Conspicuity tape, Reflexite, 3M High Intensity or Diamond Grade) if you will be at a serious speed disadvantage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mechBgon said:
1) reflectors only work when people have their lights on, aimed at you, and lined up close to the line of sight between you and them. more info on that stuff Since all those criteria are not always being met, active lights that produce light of their own are still critically important. Aim the lights level, not tilted down at the ground.

2) a dirty reflector won't work well, so the bottom of your mudguard may not be a very good place for it. What I like to do, is apply red reflective tape up the bottom 1/2 of the mudguard (aka "fender" to U.S. dwellers). It reflects from a wider range of angles than cube-corner plastic reflectors, and you can get a much greater reflective area too. The higher area will not get dirty as fast, so if you wipe it off daily, that ought to keep it functional.

Some tape reflects much better than others, so at a minimum, use the stuff that's used on the rear of semi trailers (DOT Class II Conspicuity tape, Reflexite, 3M High Intensity or Diamond Grade) if you will be at a serious speed disadvantage.
good to know, this the tape I purchased http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ssrt1.html
not sure how it compares to your simi truck stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
alpka said:
MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight (18650) for the bars $41.25
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

Would this be too heavy/big to helmet mount?
With a battery and a typical helmet mount, it will weigh about 1/2 pound (220 grams). For a lot of people, that would be more than they're comfortable with.
 

·
HTFU!
Joined
·
755 Posts
Deal Extreme light set up

alpka said:
MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight (18650) for the bars $41.25
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

Would this be too heavy/big to helmet mount?
I hope not as I just purchased two of these with charger, batteries, handle bar mounts and helmet mounts. Many of the reviews mentioned they used it form trail riding and I plan on it as well. My goal--save money. This set up should take care of that. I had intended on buying a miNewt (110L) for my helmet and a Cygolite (225L) for my bars but was going to run nearly $300. For about $110 I have everything I need and I can keep charged batteries in my pack.
I will let you know how it works out after it arrives (hopefully in two weeks).:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Questions about your setup

mbaha -

I am looking at the getting the same setup. I have some questions for you or anyone else out there:

Do the TrustFire Tr 801 and the MTE SSC P7 lights use the same type of battery? The former says "Powered by 1 x 18650 battery" and the latter says "Powered by 1 x 3.7V 18650 rechargeable battery". From the pictures, they don't look to be the same battery.

Using the Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger, can you leave the batteries in the charger indefinitely until you're ready to use them?

bbooker
 

·
HTFU!
Joined
·
755 Posts
I wonder how awkward/heavy a two 18650 battery flashlight would be on a helmet?
ie: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14029
I already purchased two P7's but might consider one of these on my helmet if it were feasable.

I am also curious to how handle bar mounted lights hold up to the root/rock filled bumpy trails. Might have to increase the travel and lower the pressure in my forks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
IMHO said:
mbaha (or anyone who can answer this),
I have ordered a couple of P7's and I noticed that the batteries you ordered are 18650 4.2 volts. Now I know little to nothing about batteries and electronics ( I just want them to work when I use them) but the flashlight said it takes 18650 3.7 volts (which are actually $1 cheaper). Is this going to be a problem (working or running too hot) or are the more powerful batteries just going to make it better?
4.2V and 3.7V are two facets of the lithium-ion battery. Same thing, two ways of looking at them. Make sure you get protected cells for safety.

I wonder how awkward/heavy a two 18650 battery flashlight would be on a helmet?
The page shows that the flashlight weighs 11.11 ounces, which is 314 grams. Two 18650 batteries will weigh about 90 grams. A typical helmet mount like a TwoFish BikeBlock would weigh about 20 grams. So you're looking at almost one pound. You can try strapping a one-pound object to your helmet to see what it would feel like.
 

·
HTFU!
Joined
·
755 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
Just after writing that post I did what I should have done in the first place and looked at them closely on the web page and saw the difference...then edited the original post. ;)

Yeah, I don't think I want a pound on my head. There are better options (like two cells or two smaller lights). Anyway, it is late, I am tired, so naturally I am overthinking it. I am sure my two P7's will be fine.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top