Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a new poster at mtbr but long time review reader so forgive me if my post runs contrary to the spirit of these forums or there's a forum sticky for these kinds of questions... i've got an '04 stumpjumper (forget what exact model but retail was ~1600) w/stock avid v-brakes and float r w/propedal rear sus but i upgraded the manitou black with an '04 fox talas RLC.

after using some crappy pedals for a couple years i hardly want to run the cross country trails around here (namely at South Mountain in phx) so i am determined to get some good shoes (wide format sidi bullet 2s or shimano 225s) and hayes hyrdro brakes from a friend but am not sure what clipless pedals to get. eggbeaters' simple design is really appealing but i feel like i've read mixed reviews of the ones in my price range of ~$100.

my chain rings and cassette are falling apart and i was hoping to shed some unneeded gears but i dunno what this kind of change entails or if i should just replace my shark teeth and live with it!

lookin for suggestions on best improvements for the buck and definitely for insight about the right pedals.

thanks and sup

[edit:the bike's Large and i am 6'1 200lbs if that makes any difference ;O]

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
eggs are good. ive been on mine for more than 4 years, once cracked the cage and crank bros replaced the set no questions asked. you can try a 1x9, some people love it. but you will have to replace at least one ring with that set up. i assume you're still using an octalink crank; get yourself a new xt crankset for $150, and you'll get a new bb with it. lightyears dif from what you're used to. the rings will cost you about $70+, so why not just double up and get a brand new stiffer, smoother, prettier crank/bb?

·
Happy Trails
1,190 Posts
Upgrade Stuff: Go For Brakes

I used to live in PHX in Awatukee (back in Club West on number 17) so I know South Mountain pretty well. And I have a 2003 SJ... it's the last year before the 2004 model year switched to your frame. The 2004 is a much better frame design, I think. Earlier this fall I spent about 800 bucks upgrading my 2003 and I am pretty stoked with the results, though. The best upgrade was hydraulic brakes, by far. Even in South Mountain park, which is a lot of up and down whoop-d-doo trail riding, I think you'll dig the feel and control from hydros. And it's a huge improvement for downhillin'. The brake installation was pretty simple. I've got a full thread on my upgrades you can track down, but here's a quick pic' that shows the brakes and cable routing. Happy trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Brand new to the forum so if im out of line here let me know.
I just put juicy 7's on my 04 SJ last week. Real simple.

I can't get the pictures to upload right now, but I'll try it again in the morning.

I got the bike used from my shop owner. It's my first "real" mtn bike :thumbsup: . He gave me egg beaters to try, and I broke one the first time I used it. Called crank brothers the next day and they're replacing them for free. I borrowed mallets which are on it now. I think I like these better because of the platform--I think of them like clip in training wheels.

Edit: I tried to upload the pictures again but the pop-up window won't load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.